SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennyb_2

Slow growing vegetables?

Jennyb_2
9 years ago

I've been reading this site a lot, and I know you are going to ask a lot of questions so I'm trying to give as much info as I can...sorry the post is so long.

I've never grown anything before, a complete newbie. I finally have a yard, so I started a veggie garden. My yard drains poorly and is more clover and weeds than grass, so we built a 12x8 raised bed. I put a layer of cardboard down first, then put a thin layer of mulch on top of that, filled it with bagged topsoil mixed with some MG garden soil, a few bags of black kow manure, and a couple bags of mushroom compost.

It's been mostly sunny and in the 80's, with a couple days of rain. I've been watering every 3-4 days when it's been dry, and I check the soil a few inches below before to make sure it's dry. Most of the bed gets at least 6 hours of sun, some parts 8.

We just moved here April 1st, so I got a late start. I planted about 20 days ago. I planted some store bought tomatoes, cantaloupe, bell peppers, etc, and they are doing great. From seed I'm growing cucumbers, acorn squash, pumpkin, carrots, jalapenos, and bush beans. Now my question...

The beans are doing great, but most everything else is growing much slower. I think. I don't know what is normal. The cucumbers were the first to sprout, after only 4 days, but it took 2 weeks for the 1st true leaf, and now after almost 4 weeks they only have a small 2nd leaf that looks like it is trying to grow. They are no taller than when they first sprouted. The squash and pumpkin are better, they're taller and have 2 true leaves, and the carrots and jalapenos are still tiny, but they sprouted much later. I attached a photo of the cuke.

So, is this slow growth? Is my soil mix ok? Or do I just need to be more patient?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022