SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spmimi

what does it mean when your plants don't show/bloom?

spmimi
18 years ago

i planted my first native garden last year. everything was from 3.5" pots or bigger.

everything so far is coming up wonderfully - bigger and beautifuller - except a couple of things and i'm wondering whether that's the natural selection of things, an extended adjustment period, cultural needs not met, or just plain bad luck!

so i'd love to hear what you all think. i know this is about 99% speculation, but maybe you've had a similiar experience?

1. dicentra eximia - i planted three last year that grew and bloomed all summer. it was a wonderful group. this year, one came up and it looks a little spindly, and the other two never showed.

2. dodocatheon meadia - planted five last year, all in bloom. three came up this year, but only green leaves, no flowers.

3. aquilegia canadensis - planted two last year and moved them in the fall. no sign of them whatsoever. i know they are short-lived but proficient seeders. did the transplant not suit them well?

4. dutchmans breeches (sorry forgot latin) - planted as dormant, foliage came up nicely but no blooms. does this one take awhile?

5. various items that i planted in the fall, mostly just after bloom. when you see a no-show in the spring do you just assume it didn't survive the winter? (and i mean, those items that should've been blooming in the spring.) or do you give it another year? one i'm thinking of in particular is baptisia alba, but i haven't seen my penstemon digitalis either.

i'm hoping maybe i just need to be a little more patient! but if a no-show means what it means, then i'd rather try to plant something new in that space.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting