SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blueridgemtngrl

Thoughts on poison ivy

blueridgemtngrl
15 years ago

I am wondering how aggressively I should be killing off the poison ivy in my yard. There is a steep area going down to our creek that has poison ivy growing. It isn't an area that I or the dogs will go, so I am wondering if I should leave it. The other issue is that it is already woody and I am not sure I could get away with getting rid of it without chemicals, which I don't want to use, especially near the creek.

I realize the flip side to this is that the birds will eat the berries and plant more, but I live in a rural area that is left pretty wild and there is likely a lot more very nearby. And the birds are kind of the point. It is a great wildlife plant.

Also, has anyone used white vinegar as a weed killer? I read about it on another site. My property was unoccupied for almost a year before I moved in and was allowed to get pretty weedy. I am slowly getting a couple of areas under control but hand pulling in some areas takes a really long time and if white vinegar would work, it would be a nice solution to not using chemicals, which I don't use as a rule.

Your thoughts would be appreciated!

Happy Memorial Day! Thanks to those who have or are serving!

Blue Ridge Mountain Girl

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Full-Service General Contractor Servicing Mecklenburg County, VA