SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ficus_spider_man

A native river restoration.

ficus-spider-man
16 years ago

There is a city park I go to in HIghland park, HIdden falls, I think the name is and the park people leave an area by the edge of a riverbank unmowed for wildlife, there is meadow behind a mowed area too shadowed by cottenwoods that is uncut. The area when I was a boy had common Milkweeds,and other natives but sadly has become infested with Spotted Knapweed, russian spurge and other lowlifes. Lately I have been pulling up the invasives and hualing them away to my garbage in effort to save the last few natives remaining. I plan to buy natives, like Black eyed susean, big blue stem and coneflowers from my local nurshery and atempt to restore the area.

At my work I went to a local job fair and talked with someone from the city of saint paul about this, to see if it was okay, he told me its fine to plant natives in pubic parks.

I spoke to another friend who is in the landscaping buz, He says to just do it, no one will care. It sure seems its been that way for awhile, I know the park has tried in the past at restoration, they planted black eyed suseans, but I assuming they gave up because of money,time,ect.

people in the park have seen me and have given me good comments about the work I was doing once I explained to them what I was doing and why.

At first before the job fair I felt guilty in that what I was doing was bad, but as I see the natives come back stronger and there being less and less nasty knapweed I've come to understand that a law is only as good as what becomes of it.

I have a budget of $60, does anyone know of a nurshery in the Highland park area that sells natives for cheaper then $7 pur seedling, or $10 pur pant. or any online websites you could point me to.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington