SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bragu

Time to pull the plug(s)

bragu_DSM 5
10 years ago

Yay, it's time to transplant, or pull, the 'plugs' of all my new hosta!

It's really quite fun, since 'most' of the work was already done.

I get my hosta in liners, or 1/4 inch plugs. I get them by the dozen. The liners are like tomatoes, instead of four to a pack, there's 12.

When I get them, I unceremoniously pull them from the 12 pack and plant them, three to a pot. I do nothing to them at the time. I figure it is like the yolk sac on an egg. Give it time to absorb the plug material and start sending out new roots in a larger space.

Then I wait about two weeks. I pull the plugs and carefully separate the roots from the original material. I wash each one off so it is bare root, and then I plant them two to a gallon pot.

Then I water and put them in a container (like a plastic oil catcher) and let them self water when I water them, allowing excess water to be retained so they can drink from the bottom. Oh, I mix pearlite and a handful of floor dry (the oil spill cleanup stuff) into the compost. Gives the roots space and moisture.

In 2-3 weeks I can take them down to individual pots. That's where the beauty of azalea pots comes in, they are smaller, inexpensive and easy to deal with. And slightly lighter weight.

Today, I pulled the plug on ...
Diamond Necklace
Goober
Bubbatini
Taurus
Green Mouse Ears
Holy Mouse Ears
Blue Mouse Ears
Tidewater
Orange Marmalade
Rainforest Sunrise
Fire Island
June
Praying Hands
and Cloudburst.

I also rescued a hosta from the garden that was going backwards, and popped Grover Cleveland from the transplant bin into the ground.

Whew.

Time to fire up the grill and have a frosty malt.

Where did I find all that energy?

Oh, yeah, county fair ended today and the scores of livestock photos are done. It's like a weight off my shoulders!

Now, if it would rain some more ...

^_^ --~

Dave

Comments (9)