SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

Happy Thanksgiving!

jel48
18 years ago

Holiday wishes to all of you, many once names on GW, and now personal friends from having met and enjoyed each others company at Winter blues seed swap, plant swaps, and so on. I hope every one of you has a great Thankgiving!

As I type, I have an 'almost' eleven pound turkey just about ready to pop in the oven. Two pumpkin pies are cooling on top of the dishwasher and sweet potatoes have been microwaved and are cooling so I can cut them in pieces and top them with goodies. Add homemade stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, fresh steamed brussel sprouts, rolls (cheated on these, bought them didn't make them), and a relish tray and there will be enough dinner and leftovers to last DH and I all of next week with extras to freeze. I love Thanksgiving leftovers!

We watched Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade on TV earlier. DH's only brother called to say he wasn't going to make it to dinner. My four sisters are far away - we'll be getting together to celebrate ALL of the winter holidays on the 31st of December and I'm looking forward to that. Daughter Jaime is in Ohio and son Jeremy is joining his girlfriend's family for dinner. Stepkinds Anthony and Megan have been invited to stop over in the evening after they spend the day with their mom, grandparents, and extended family. I believe Anthony is planning to go deer hunting this afternoon with his grandpa. For the most part, Tom and I will be on our own. He says he's used to it and it doesn't bother him but I DO miss the big family get togethers. Being from a family of 5 with 14 neices and nephews plus my own two kids and many many great neices and nephews, this quiet holiday just doesn't feel right to me!

Despite that, Tom and I have so much to be thankful for. Family, two children each and someday (hopefully cross your fingers) maybe grand kids. All of my extended family (Tom really has none, only one single brother), many friends, including every one of you guys! Two decent jobs, a warm cozy home, a lovely garden, clothes to wear and food to eat. Not to mention Ellie, our sweet little Boston Terrior! Our health, and each other. We take so many things for granted, here in the US, that most people in many countries can't even imagine having. It's good that we dedicate a day to family and friends and thinking about all that we have and being thankful for it. We all need to do that a little bit more every day!

We'll be putting up the Christmas tree tomorrow and turning on the lights that we put up outdoors last week. Other people on our street (and elseware) have had Christmas lights lit for a week now, but not us. I like to give Thanksgiving the respect that it deserves, rather then swallow it up in the middle of Christmas celebrations. Both are important in their own right.

But... this post is getting long, soon I'm going to be rambling so better go pop that Turkey in the oven! If you get hungry, come on over! We'll have plenty!

Happy Thanksgiving Minnesota Gardening Friends!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH