SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
haley_z6

New Home, New Garden

haley_Z6
18 years ago

we finally moved into a house we started remodelling in 2004, this house was empty for 15 yrs so needless to say the yard hasn't been touched by anything other than the elements in 15 yrs....we tore out some icky old bushes, cut down a few trees, well this is the link of the house and you can see the bought as pics and the pics with the new siding is the yard as is...

i need help in design and plant picking

front of house gets good sun, doesn't shade over till mid afternoon,

driveway side gets shade in the morning, can be windy on that side

back of house is undecided as of yet with the concret pad thats there

side of house with porch that isn't completed yet gets sun all day, the maple tree stays, and yes i would like a pathway from the sidewalk to the porch, eventually, maybe this summer, there will be a 6 foot fence that lowers to 4 feet going round the whole house

any thoughts are greatly appreciated

we were thinking of a tree in the yard ont he right hand side of the house someplace

Here is a link that might be useful: house project

Comments (12)

• sedum37
    18 years ago

haley_z6 - Wow you've done a lot of work! Looks great!! Isn't it so much fun to take 'before and after' pictures.

For landscaping suggestions...
    My first suggestion is carefully pick out a fence for your yard. You want one that will complement the architecture and time period of the house. Done right it will look like it has always been there. Another idea is make sure you know where your underground utility lines are (gas, water, sewer). Make sure your plans take into account where these are located. Next determine how much time you'll be able to devote to keeping up your landscape (since you have young children this is a concern). Determining this will influence the type of plants you should select.

• haley_Z6
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sedum, thank you...the fence we will keep simple and time period, and thankfully we know were the utilities are, we did most of the re-model ourselves...up keep will be easy, my dd loves to pick the weeds with me, my ds can be locked in the yard with us and my SO actually likes to garden...

I only know a few things i want and don't want, but i am looking for general ideas so i can pick and play from them...my old house had many plants already there whereas this house i have a new pallett and need to pick everything off the bat...granted i dont have the finances to create a 10 yr old looking garden nor do i want to, we are going to install a sprinkler system before hand

• Related Discussions

New Home Means New Garden

Q

Comments (7)
    My suggestions: 1 Cotoneaster sp. 2.Fungus 3 & 4 Peony 5 & 6 Camellia 7 Epilobium (weed) 8 Hydrangea sp ?? 9 ?? 10 & 11 Azalea 12,13 & 14 Iris reticulata 15 Bittercress (weed) 16 Euonymous sp 17 Bittercress (weed) 19 & 20 Lysimachia ciliata ??? 21 & 22 ?? 23 & 24 rosehip 25 Cotoneaster sp 26 ? 27 & 28 Lamiastruum galeobdolon 29 Fungus 30 Rose 31 Azalea 32 & 33 Lavender 34 ?? If no one else chimes in try again when they are growing and there's more to see.
    ...See More

New Home, New Gardener! Help!

Q

Comments (1)
    #1 looks like a floribunda, but I can't say which one. Your #2 pic looks a lot like Elina. It's a magnificent rose. The white one, assuming it sometimes has some light splotches of pink on the outer petal edges, could be Garden Party. I'm afraid I don't know about the other ones.
    ...See More

New home, new garden in Austin

Q

Comments (2)
    Plants appropriate for a rain garden in your area are probably your best bet, as they can take the moisture but will tolerate drier conditions if/when necessary. A link to a fact sheet listing rain garden plants for Texas is below, but be sure to research - I understand Texas has a few quite different climates. http://www.slideshare.net/Sotirakou964/tx-list-of-rain-garden-plants
    ...See More

New home with new garden - part 2

Q

Comments (3)
    1. Appears to be another lavender. Rub and sniff for confirmation. 2. Aquilegia vulgaris 3. Astilbe 4. Hebe 5. Hibiscus syriacus 6. Rhododendron Everything except your lavenders and the Hibiscus seem to be suffering from lack of water and I'm guessing your soil doesn't suit the Rhodie. Are you in the South East? Were the pix taken during the hot weather last week?
    ...See More
  • martieinct
    18 years ago

Haley:

I'm in year 2 of a similar gardening project and the most important thing I've learned is:

Do the Bones First. ie., if you want to put in a path, do that year 1. If you want to replace the fence (something white with some curve would stand out against the angles of the house and be in period) do it year 1.

In a sense you're lucky that the sprinkler system will easily cover your yard without having to plan any planting beds, first. Do that year 1.

Also year 1, start a nursery bed. Rather than buying 16" shrubs and paying through the ear, get smaller specimans of shrubs and perennials and grow them on this year with the plan to place them Year 2 or 3. This will save you a LOT of digging and moving.

You are in the fortuate position to be able to use almost any palette, but I'd stay away from multicolor given the proximity of the house to the corner. "Too much" color variety will look confusing because the eye won't be able to see any one thing. Pick a base color and accent from there. A neat trick is to use complimentary plant forms on adjacent walls to give it continuity, but use different colors of the same plant. The eye won't split it because of the form, but you'll get some "base" variety in coloration.

When I saw the South side of the house my thought immediately went to a good, hardy climbing rose. At our house climbing roses are considered "Bones" and therefore can be planted Year 1. :-)

Good luck and keep us updated!

Martie

• haley_Z6
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Martie thanks for the great advise....Bones is exactly my goal this year...the fence will depend on the $$ we have left over as we still are finishing up the inside of the house, however i would love to get one in now...sprinkler system however is our priority, who wants to do all that work and then tear it up to install a SS, fortunately we planned ahead with the plumbing and have the outdoor meter and everything in place, which is the expensive part of it...

my problem is designing the paths, i need one in the front from the sidewalk to the door and i am thinking from the driveway to the door as well as the side of the house to the porch...i am not sure if i should keep it all straight lines, thought straight is boring to me, or if the house could handle a curving one

the other bonus, we have family that will be able to split loads of plants for us to transplant into our garden, so the one thing we want to spend the $$ on this year is a tree for the front corner.

thanks again

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    18 years ago

If the paths are for practical use, straight. Otherwise they won't make any sense, and people will be forever cutting corners to take the straight line path anyway. The only way curved paths work is if there is some reason for the curve.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    18 years ago

I think straight for the paths, as a house of this vintage would not have used curving paths, and there isn't enough space for curves. The corner doesn't look big enough for anything but a fairly small tree, maybe Amelanchier or Chionanthus or something.

Keep in mind that while overhead sprinkling is fine for the lawn, it's better to use drip or soaker systems for flowerbeds to avoid fungal diseases. Maybe you can set it up for both.

• diggingthedirt
    18 years ago

Since you have some experience gardening at your old house, you may already have done this, but I'll suggest it anyway.

Get some big sheets of graph paper, the kind with 4 squares to the inch, and make some maps of the yard. The maps should be fairly accurate (use a tape measure) and should just show the existing elements - like the house, sidewalk, garage. Xerox copies of the base maps, and add notes about any areas that are shady/windy/low/damp, or areas where you need screening from nearby views - phone poles, neighbors' driveways, etc. Then you can use some of the copies to sketch in paths, sitting areas, and bones - hedges, trees, shrub borders. No specific plants yet, that come after you've settled on the overall design based on how you want to use the yard and how you think people people will move through it.

There's a good article in this month's Horticulture magazine about defining major axies as the basis for a design - the author, Gordon Hayward (his wife, Mary, is co-author) has a new book out that I love, called The Intimate Garden.

Drawing up these plans, walking around the yard with them to get the "ground truth," and envisioning the 3-dimensional shapes of elements in the new garden will be a great way to spend the winter, and will help you feel prepared for spring.

In Martie's scheme above, you could call this year 0. It will give you a big jump on year 1 and the ones that follow!

• haley_Z6
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Digging, i like that idea, however i will have to wait till the snow melts to see the real layout, :)

i will look up that article as well as the book, thank you for the the advise

• sedum37
    18 years ago

This is probably over kill but NEWFS is offereing a course on Residential Landscape Design. I've taken classes there and been happy with the quality.

I agree that what DiggingTheDirt suggests is the thing to do. Once you get a better idea of what beds, walkways you have people here in the forum can suggest individual plants that would work for the areas you have.

Here is a link that might be useful: NEWFS - Residential Landscape Design Course

• lise_b
    18 years ago

Haley, how exciting! The best thing is it's so satisfying to see the improvements, isn't it?

Martie is right about the fence. I can never come up with stuff like that on my own, but when I picture the white curves-on-top kind of fence in front of the house, it would really look right.

I can see this house with some rudbeckia in the front-- I think it would contrast nicely with color of the house.

• hostasz6a
    18 years ago

What a beautiful transformation! vtskiers on this forum has a beautiful website showcasing all her plantings. Unfortunately, you can't access it anymore from Garden Web. I'd email her as she did a renovation years ago and removed many trees as you did. Sometimes photos help the most. She has a lovely garden!

• sedum37
    18 years ago

I second looking at Sue's (VtSkiers) photo albums. She has a real talent for plant combinations (very, very professional looking gardens) and like hostasz6a said she also removed some trees in her landscape which would be useful to get ideas. Nothing like a picture being worth a thousand words!