Lonicera sempervirens flowers turned white this spring

miabran

I have had this major wheeler plant for a couple of years and it has always had the regular red trumpets and attracted lots of hummingbirds. This spring it was loaded with tiny white trumpets. Is this normal. Will the red trumpets come back. Are the hummingbirds going to be mad :-)

SaveComment1Like
Comments (1)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Vicissitudezz(Zone 8b, SC)

I haven't heard of a white coral honeysuckle, so it will be interesting to hear if it continues with white blooms throughout the summer, and past this bloom season. I know that there's a yellow cultivar of Lonicera sempervirens ('John Clayton'- see link below), so it obviously does 'sport' away from the usual coral/orange-y colors.

Hummingbirds will visit the Japanese honeysuckle, so I'm guessing they'll be okay with your mutant white flowers.

I planted a 'Major Wheeler' and a 'Magnifica' last spring and they have yet to bloom, although they are vining... This spring I planted a species coral honeysuckle in between the other vines and it is outperforming the older cultivar plants and is ready to bloom already. By the time the hummers come back through here in late summer, I'm hoping all 3 plants will be blooming.

Here is a link that might be useful: photo of 'John Clayton' honeysuckle

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides Great Design Plant: Lonicera Sempervirens
Grow this long-blooming, flashy flowering vine to cover a fence or arbor and attract hordes of hummingbirds all season long
Full Story
Spring Gardening 7 Spectacular and Practical Spring-Flowering Trees
Put on a beauteous show in the garden with a landscape tree awash in flowers — just do your homework first
Full Story
Most Popular Attract Hummingbirds and Bees With These Beautiful Summer Flowers
Roll out a welcome mat for pollinators to keep your landscape in balance and thriving
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
With the help of our experienced experts, remodeling will no longer be a hassle for you to handle. Virginia... Read More