What Varieties of Crabapple are Native?

edlincoln(6A)

I understand there are both European and North American species of crabapples. What popularly available varieties of crabapple are New England natives?

SaveComment5Like
Comments (5)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wisconsitom(Zone 4/5)

Ed, I don't know that any of these is popular, let alone available in N.E. but the three Malus species considered to be native to N. America are M. coronaria, M. fusca, and M. ionensis.

Now what has gone on, in terms of genetic material from any of these being used in the development of modern cultivars, that's well beyond my expertise.

+oM

Save    
Iris GW

Don't forget Malus angustifolia.

I am not aware of any named cultivars of native crabapples.

Save    
Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis(6)

Forestfarm offers two of the above

Malus fusca - Pacific Crabapple
http://www.forestfarm.com/product.php?category=19&id=2938

Malus coronaria - Wild Sweet Crabapple
http://www.forestfarm.com/product.php?category=19&id=2925

Coronaria seems the more promising of the two. No thorns and not "thicket" forming. Then again anything which can compete with the honeysuckle under the walnuts would be welcome. Both seem reasonably attractive.

Save    
lycopus(z5 NY)

Malus coronaria is an attractive tree. The fruits also smell sweet (hence the name) but are not palatable.

Save    
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Malus ioensis var texana , or Blanco crabapple is a good one for down in Texas. It is indigenous to the Central Texas area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blanco Crabapple

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides Garden-Friendly Native Alternatives to Overplanted Exotics
There are lots of gorgeous, wildlife-friendly native plants ready to make an appearance in your garden
Full Story
Earth Day 12 Entertaining ‘Bee-haviors’ of Native Bees
The parade of pollinator antics is another reason to create a garden that nurtures native bees
Full Story
Gardening Guides 15 Native Flowers That Feed Native Bees
These perennials offer superfood to hundreds of bees and are gorgeous in their own right
Full Story
Ark Woodworking builds European cabinetry for any room in the house. Kitchens, libraries, mudrooms, and bars to... Read More