Where would you get Lespedeza capitata?

edlincoln(6A)

I *LIKE* clovers, but most readily available ones are non-native. I recently read something that recommended Lespedeza capitata, "roundhead bushclover" for Cape Cod. Any idea where I could buy these plants?

SaveComment3Like
Comments (3)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lukifell(zone5 NH)

You can't buy them because they are a native plant. There is a conspiracy against native plants. Besides it would be more fun to collect seeds yourself.

Look for a disturbed area in an oak-pine forest. There should be lots of sunlight, dry soil, and perhaps sassafras trees nearby. Round-headed bush-clover should be easy to find.

I have also seen them growing on piles of dirt next to a construction site. In Concord, New Hampshire.

Save    
dandy_line (Z3b N Cent Mn)

I don't know that it's even a clover, is it? I find it growing near here and collected seed. But find it in the 'impossible' realm of seed germination. .

Save    
dekeoboe(7B NC)

Shooting Star Nursery lists it in their catalog.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides 5 Prairie Wildflowers That Can Heal Your Soil
Get free, organic soil fertilizer with nitrogen-pumping plants that draw pollinators too
Full Story
Landscape Design Celebrate a Sunny Climate With the Right Leafy Palm for Your Site
So you get freezes or floods. So your garden is small. These palms send excuses riding off into the tropical sunset
Full Story
Gardening Guides How to Avoid Overcrowded, Overpruned Shrubs
Go for a more natural look that’s easier and less expensive to maintain by giving your plants the right amount of growing room
Full Story