SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mesembs

Butia Capitata (pindo/jelly palm) germination tips?

mesembs
8 years ago

I recently acquired some pindo palm seeds, and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on germinating these particular seeds, or just palm seeds in general.

I have germinated palm seeds before (date palm) so for the most part I know what I'm doing.

When I received the seeds, they looked fresh, free of mold and moisture, and they were also nice and heavy, which I take to be a good sign. In other words I would not be happy to mess up on these promising seeds!

For palm seeds, I usually just use the ziploc bag method, which I find efficient, easy, and satisfactory. Could anyone describe a good moisture level to germinate these seeds? I would deeply appreciate that.

I have a heating mat designed for germinating seeds (non-adjustable), and I once stuck a thermometer in with the seeds, and figured the temperature ranged from about 78-95 degrees Fahrenheit, which I take to be a satisfactory temperature for palm seeds.

While I am on the topic of palm seeds, I also have some Trachycarpus Fortunei seeds on the way, and I was wondering if I should use a heating mat to germinate them (since mine cannot be adjusted).

Thank you!!

~palmsandsnow

Comments (6)