Trillium project
12 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (37)
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
Related Discussions
HAVE: Have Blueberry/Grape/Grass/Magnolia/carolina jessamine
Comments (5)alwazeroom4more, The Pawpaw,Asimina triloba doesn't have a separate male and female plant.It's the way the flowers are timed to be fertile that causes them to need another variety to produce fruit.The Sunflower variety is about the only one I've heard to be self fertile. There are other species related to Asimina triloba (Asimina incarna, A. longifolia, A. obovata, A. parviflora, A. pygmaea, A. reticulata, A. tetramera, A. X nashii)that grow more in the Southeastern US.Asimina Triloba requires about 400 chill hours. I have some seedlings,three varieties of A.triloba,but not sure if they are compatible in your zone. Oregon Grape also grows around here in abundance. Brady...See MoreTrilliums at Wal-Mart
Comments (5)Hi Sheryl, Plant rescue is a wonderful thing. I've actually helped out in a rescue. The problem of illegal harvesting from the wild is a terrible problem. Bigger than you think! Trilliums, Jack in ther pulpits and ostrich ferns are some of the most popular. Trilliums take many years to get them to a size where they will bloom and can be sold. There's no money to be made this way. I have a friend who is trialling trilliums raised form seed for part of his work in environmental rehabilitation projects. He's apposed to the collection from the wild which would make it easier. There are next to no cultivation stock at those prices. Let's face it, do you think that they care? I just can't see a builder holding things up to allow someone to go through and salvage the plants. time is money. It comes down to principles and ethics. Sorry I just can't candy coat it and be able to swallow it. Let us know if the packaging indicates that these plants are from cultivated stock. Green Thumb Guy...See MoreProject of the Week
Comments (15)Memo, you are doing good girl. First for roses...have you tried the explorer roses? Or Morden roses? or now the newer Artist Series? You should be able to grow some of the rugosa roses. Also buck roses. Any of these should do well for you.....should you need a rose for somewhere in the future. I hope you pile the rocks somewhere in your garden, they are supposed to chase away bad vibs. lol. With the rains, you will probably see tiny sprouts when you get a chance to plant up the last little bit. You know that is the good thing about gardening, there is never any rush....it will get done or it won't.....it will still be waiting for you to finish it. Remember no one else sees what you haven't finished, they just see what you have done. Also depending on the perennials, some won't bloom till the second year. Now for me in the last week. Lets see, I finished the impatiens blooming bags. Potted up the rest of the begonias, still waiting for some to arrive. Transplanted seedlings into pots and trays. Filled some larger blooming bags for petunia cuttings.....took many petunia cuttings and still have many to do. Potted up perennials that I have purchases bare root. Checking the max/min temps in the greenhouse everyday. I have 2 rooms full of plants and every window sill is full as well. lol. Bring on the sun... There is still a lot of snow in my yard. I can see the raised bed boxes in the front now and the driveway bed....although there is still some snow there. There is soooo much snow still on the side garden, I am wondering if I will see it before July. lol I dug strips through the veggie garden area to make it melt faster and that seemed to work. As the snow is disappearing around the edges, crocus and chinodoxa already have flower buds on them. :) Sierra...See MoreSpring Project Help!
Comments (11)Hello again, I have a long row of hemlock trees down one side of our property - dry, dry, dry! Shade, shade, shade! Roots, roots, and more roots! I need to mulch it deeper (it's only got an inch right now), but in the meantime I've been trying all sorts of shade/woodland plants to see what tolerates such brutal conditions. So far the winners are: hosta, pachysandra, variegated Solomon's seal, Lady ferns (I just put a few other kinds of ferns in there last year - the jury is still out on them), some rhododendrons (2 out of 4 are thriving/2 croaked), lamium (aka dead nettle - a lot prettier than its name), and mountain laurel (so far so good). I do have to water this area if a dry period goes on for too long - this isn't a self-sufficient woodland border. If I wanted it to live with NO help from me at all, I'd have nothing but hosta and pachysandra and lamium in it. Of course, there's a lot to choose from among the hostas and lamiums. But, I don't know how much sun your skinny-tree bed gets. You might be able to experiment with drought-tolerant plants that need more sun, like sedums, tall bearded irises, daylilies, lamb's ears, lavender, dwarf Russian sage, yucca, annual portulaca, potentilla, etc. A word of caution: don't bury the tree roots too deeply farther out from the trunk - the tree needs its feeder roots closer to the surface than you might think. Better a shallower, lighter, moisture-retentive soil layer than a deeper, heavier, drier one. Mulch and compost, mulch and compost. . . . Laurel...See More- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
Related Stories

GREAT HOME PROJECTSHow to Replaster (or Remodel) Your Pool
Have an old pool? It could be time to update the plaster, landscaping and more for a pool that works swimmingly with your current style
Full Story
GREAT HOME PROJECTSHow to Give Your Driveway and Front Walk More Curb Appeal
Prevent injuries and tire damage while making a great first impression by replacing or repairing front paths
Full Story
WORKING WITH PROS17 Things Color Consultants Want You to Know
Dithering over potential palettes for your home? A color pro might be the way to go. Here's how it works
Full Story
PETSIncredible Home Catwalks Make for Purr-fectly Happy Felines
Walkways and tunnels custom built to the tune of about $35,000 keep a homeowner’s 18 cats on cloud nine
Full Story
TRADITIONAL HOMESHouzz Tour: Connecticut Farm Restored for Generations to Come
A man renovates his extended family’s stately farmhouse and land. Sustainable practices are used in gardens, wetlands and recreation areas
Full Story
PATHSCreate Garden Mystery With a Zigzag Path
Foster intrigue by setting garden paths at angles ‘yatsuhashi’-style
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGN6 Great Ways With Garden Ground Covers
Use them as problem solvers, weed killers, color and texture providers ... ground cover plants have both practical and visual appeal
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNLiving on the Edge of the Wild
When Mother Nature is your neighbor, the possibilities — and responsibilities — can be that much greater
Full Story
GARDENING FOR BUTTERFLIESGarden for Wildlife to Reap Rich Rewards
When you plant with animals and insects in mind, you make gardening easier, the planet healthier and yourself more present
Full Story
GARDENING FOR BUTTERFLIES3 Ways Native Plants Make Gardening So Much Better
You probably know about the lower maintenance. But native plants' other benefits go far beyond a little less watering and weeding
Full StorySponsored
More Discussions






Lynda Waldrep