SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

Thread For Discussing Fragrant Hosta Planting

don_in_colorado
10 years ago

Hello, all...

As Mocc suggested, instead of hijacking Bkay's thread about the hosta sale, let's talk fragrants here! Always ready for that!

I'll post a few pics later, but I've got a pretty good jump on mass-planting the north side of my yard with fragrants (Almost all being 'Guacamole')...With a 'Holy Mole' and a 'Fragrant Bouquet' look-alike...

A good part of the reason I've chosen 'Guacamole' as the vast majority of what I've planted....Availability and price. I have a few I got mail-order, but there is one retailer in my general area who has always had an HVX-nematode guarantee on his hostas. Awesome. But the only drawback is, his selection of hosta is poor...That's OK, his Guacs are serving my purposes beautifully. 'Guacamole' also happens to be one of my favorite hosta varieties, and I know first-hand that it's a vigorous grower that blooms pretty heavily, too. So, that's why I have soo many 'Guacamole' mass-planted, but variety is the spice of life, so if you want a fragrant garden with different varieties, more power to ya! I have that as well, sited in full view of my deck and patio, where any friends who care to look can see 'em. The north side of the house, hardly anyone will see that (Except when it matures, I may DRAG people over to see it LOL) So the ;Guacamole' are used in a more 'utilitarian' way, if you will. I'm trying to get enough planted together so they can be smelled through the window, or at least at the window, when it's opened.

Babble babble, I'm gonna go take some pics of the side of my house. Not finished, and it's not a place I'd take friends to see yet, but being hostaholics, I can show pics to you guys. Because you understand!

Also, feel free to make any suggestions about groundcover, anything else that you might or might not do, anything at all, etc. I'm always open to suggestions.

Off to do some yardwork, take pics of side of house...be back a little later.

Cheers, Everybody!!
Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 1:21

Comments (36)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville