SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rubybaby43

Shady area planting ideas....

rubybaby43
17 years ago

After the storms that went through last September we suddenly found ourselves with about four hours of direct sunlight in a small corner of our densely shaded backyard. I, along with my two little helpers, have cleaned up the area and I plan on planting two or three shrubs (flowering or with other interesting characteristics) and then as many woodland plants as I can fit into this space.

This is something I really have been putting off even before the storm. We have two dogs who like to trample on everything and use plants and bushes as "rest rooms". Almost everything I have planted back there has died because of them. :\ I bought a long stretch of temporary fence to put up so I can give this newly planted area a chance to become established and am excited to get to work on this.

I am looking for some good ideas for shrubs and am assuming that this area will eventually become shaded again as the surrounding trees grow bigger. I have done a little bit of research and came up with Ash-leaf Spirea and Cardinal Dogwood. I am looking for "tried-and-true" (if you can use that term for shrubs) shrubs that you know will work well under the cover of many oaks and with the little sunlight they will get.

I appreciate any input you all have to offer!

Kristy :)

Comments (15)

Sponsored