SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gregj23

Japanese Maples - two years with very few leaves

gregj23
17 years ago

I live in a very temperate Australian climate (in Tasmania) and have two Japanese Maples on the southern side of the house. They are both well established (one is 15 feet tall, the other about 8 feet tall and 10 feet wide). When we moved in here in summer three years ago, the trees were in full flush.

The following spring some possums fed on the new growth and broke lots of the branches in the process, but overall the trees still had plents of branches left.

But since then, we get lots and lots of early leaf budding in spring with an early flush of very small leaves that for the past two years have subsequently almost disappeared, leaving just a very few, stunted leaves here and there on the trees. The odd branch is completely covered with quality growth, but the rest looks terrible! There is also notable dying back in the top fifth of a number of the very small and thin branches.

Each of the past two years we've had early, warm winds during the leaf growth phase which might explain the initial leaf loss ... but not the fact that there's been no follow-up. We haven't made any changes to the soil and the fact that they're well established indicates that they grew here successfully many years before we arrived.

Have I just been unlucky to cop warm, windy weather too early in the growth phase and is there anything I can do to help them through a leafless summer and prepare them for next year?

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers

Greg Johannes

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting