SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliska12000

Hosta leaves turning yellow

aliska12000
15 years ago

Probably you won't remember, but I asked for help on or about May 27 of this year and posted photos of my new hosta transplants, Honeybells.

Only a few leaves are yellowing on each plant, and it is mid July which has begun a prolonged period of heat.

They've grown a lot, I've watered them religiously (for me), and some time back finally laid down newspaper with a few gaps (6 layers) topped with decaying oak and maple leaves for mulch to keep that nasty grass at bay. That has really helped and kept the soil from washing out. No more shovelling it back up from the sidewalk at the bottom.

It could be because they are getting a full half day of sun, total shade starting early afternoon for the rest of the day. They were used to dappled shade most of the day, but I don't know if that's the answer or not. Maybe leaf mulch is not the best to use, but it's free and I have to save my cypress for my beds in front and selectively elsewhere, it takes bags and bags to do it right.

I had filled with topsoil when the steps were poured but clay not too much further down.

Plus I've noticed some people who grow hostas lining steps are clumped at the bottom, maybe they didn't try to plant the whole slope.

Should I feed them something? Or just let them be, and see what they look like when they come back next year unless this does them in. Seems like the south side is worse having just taken an updated photo.

{{gwi:1056569}}

{{gwi:1012067}}

Comments (16)