SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Growing corn next year? Need advice!

10 years ago

I am at wit's end trying to figure out what to grow for market. Everything was late this year, and market sales were underwhelming - barely made my fees and insurance, with other expenses it's going to be another loss.

We've got a field near my cousin's house, right on the property line, that we used to hay but it was really poor quality hay, and not that much of it. My dad just bought a brush hog (that I now owe him $1100 for!) to mow it a couple of weeks ago. Maybe it's throwing good money after bad, but I'm trying to figure out what to do with that field a mile from the house, no irrigation, and on a hillside (I may not even plant the steep part, it's too dangerous to drive a tractor, my dad won't allow anyone else to do it). Seems like sweet corn is always a big seller. I know losses from raccoons are high (my dad planted 2 rows of corn near his house this year and said no problems but when we planted some near our house a few years ago we got about 3 ears and the coons got the rest). But I don't know what else we could do to make money off that field.

So, without a corn planter, but I think we have an old 2-bottom plow somewhere, how much corn can/should we plant and harvest by hand in app 5 acres? Seems seed corn is sold by the pound. I'd probably do some staggered plantings (more to save my back than to extend the harvest LOL!). Trying to stay organic, so I have to get soil tested again (it's been a few years) and figure out some fertilizer. Need recommendations on varieties too - maybe Spring Treat or Bodacious? Though a white corn might sell better than yellow?

I'm thinking of not doing market, but while people won't drive 1/2 mile off the main highway to get tomatoes in Sept, maybe they'll turn for corn in July?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living