SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jurin_gw

Autumn Blaze maple early color turn - keep or replace?

jurin
17 years ago

Hi all. I am a maple novice.

We had 4 Autumn Blaze maples planted in 2/2006 on new construction property. (The were planted after the city issued them a citation for cutting down a natural buffer on out lot) These Autumn Blaze maples were about 3.5" caliper trunks to begin with. They have all grown at least 1' in height. One of them started to turn red in July 2006. It has been ablaze with color for several weeks now, has grown another 7" or so since July, and generally looks okay (not like its dying, but what do I know??)

It was exceptionally hot here in NC this summer with at least 2 weeks of days over 100F. We even had a TCI arborist come look at it. He said the tree was in wetter soil and planted more deeply than the others. So we excavated its trunk a bunch and didn;t water it the rest of the summer. (This particular maple was also mishandled by the builders and had a few gashes to the trunk in 2/2006 which have healed. Anyway, I got the builders to insure it.) We now have a choice of replacing it with a new free maple tree or keeping the one we have.

The builders tree people aren't very careful or knowledgable about trees. If they do replace it, they will probably come in with a Bobcat and dig a giant hole. I am worried they will do more damage to an adjacent oak. I am not even very confident they will get another Autumn Blaze maple. Basically, every aspect of their work must be managed and double-checked.

FYI, probably none of the original 4 trees had their burlap bags slit or their wire baskets cut before planting (too deep too!). Aside, is it worth to to try to dig out and get at any part of the wire basket and snip the wire by hand?

Since July, the tree has grown considerably in height. I am tempted to keep the maple and jsut hope it doesn't die this winter. If it does die, I will be sorry I didn't use the "tree insurance".

What would you do?? Please help us, the maple uneducated.

Comment (1)