SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canokie

Autumn Blaze maples - do you think they will survive?

Shelley Smith
11 years ago

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and I'm hoping you all can help me figure out what to do. I have two Autumn Blaze maples that were planted right after my house was built, in September 2009. That first fall they turned the most glorious red. However, the last two summers here in Oklahoma City have been hot and dry (last summer in particular was awful!) and both years the trees seemed to be having a hard time. I wasn't as quick to start watering as I probably should have been either - coming from a place where trees didn't need to be watered, it just didn't occur to me until the leaves started turning brown that first summer. Last summer I was gone for two weeks in late June/early July and it was very hot when I was gone, over 100 many days. When I returned there were a lot of brown/falling leaves, particularly on the maple in the center of the yard, which is on higher ground that the one by the street. Around the same time I also noticed little holes in the tree which my neighbor said was borers. She had hers sprayed and later had the tree removed (I don't know what kind of tree it was but apparently a lot of the neighbors had the borers too). I researched it and read that it was too late to treat with anything, and that they probably wouldn't kill the tree if it was healthy. So I watered them generously and often, and the leaves stopped turning brown and falling off, and we got through the summer. This spring we got a lot of rain, and the street tree leafed out and looks good. The one in the yard leafed out too but there are some bare and apparently dead branches. I'm attaching a picture so you can see what it looks like.

{{gwi:351597}}

This picture was taken about 3 weeks ago. The tree has leafed out more since, but the bare branches are still completely bare.

Another thing (not sure if it is pertinent or not) but last summer I noticed that the bark on the truck, closer to the ground, was splitting and coming loose. This spring, however, I noticed that there are little whitish gray mushroom things growing on the trunk, and I'm pretty sure that isn't good.

When I moved in here I knew nothing about trees, so I figured the builder knew what he was doing by planting the trees with this funny volcano type ring of soil around each one. I did what my neighbors did and piled a bunch of mulch on top. Now, 2 1/2 years later, many of those trees in my neighborhood are dead. I recently learned that this was a bad idea, so I recently removed the excess soil so the ground under the tree is level and you can see the base of the tree where the soil level probably should have been. I will add some mulch this weekend after I get rid of the bermuda grass that put down a massive root system under the trees because I put landscaping fabric under the mulch thinking it would stop the weeds. I'm learning there is no stopping the bermuda grass - it grew through the fabric and basically anchored it to the ground so it was a nightmare to remove. I still have to do the other tree this weekend.

I realize I have made a lot of mistakes with my trees, but I am trying to figure out if there is any hope for them at this point, and if so, what I need to do to give them their best chance of survival.

One more thing - I was reading here tonight about maples causing problems with sewer pipes, etc. One would think that the builder wouldn't have planted anything that would be destructive to underground pipes, but I'm not so sure these builders know what they are doing when it comes to trees. What do you all think? If it helps any, the Autumn Blaze is apparently a cross between a red maple and a silver maple.

Thank you,

Shelley

Comments (17)