SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_nevins

any hope for my destroyed maple?

Lynn Nevins
14 years ago

Hi all. IÂd come on here a few weeks ago, with the tale of woe regarding my acer palmatum. Ironically, I had just returned from a trip to Japan, only to find one of my two Japanese maples had been "attacked" (IÂm quite certain by my neighborÂs dog whoÂs quite destructive and who until that time had been allowed to run freely in the yardÂ.but thatÂs a story for another time).

In any case, I now have photos and would appreciate your thoughts on whether this tree might ever recover, or if I should do any type of selective pruning.

A few facts first:

I bought this tree about three years ago and itÂs been in a pot the entire time. Prior to this incident IÂd actually been thinking that it needed to go in a new pot, one size up. My main reason for thinking this was that, over the past 10 months or so, IÂd noticed these weird random shoots coming from the top of treeÂthese sort of freakishly long new branchesÂit gave the tree a very "leggy" lookÂ.so I thought maybe the tree had all this weird energy that it didnÂt know what to do with it, hence these freakishly long branches. So I thought maybe if I put it in bigger pot where the roots could have more space, that the plant might calm down and naturally begin to fill out a bit more.

Anyway, in the photos hopefully you can see the very long, leggy branches at the top that I mentioned. YouÂll now see that the left side of the tree is essentially goneÂall the branches torn off.

So what do you thinkÂ.will this tree look like "crap" foreverÂ.will it never recover? And now that one whole side of the tree is gone, does that mean all the treeÂs energy will go into producing MORE branch growth on the right (thereby making the tree look MORE unbalanced)? Since IÂve nothing to lose I imagine at this point, should I just cut down all the branches the rightÂor maybe the bulk of the branchesÂmaybe just leaving a branch here and there that sort of give an "outline" to the shape IÂd LIKE the tree to have IF it had all its original branchesÂ.?

As you can see, thereÂs nothing left of the old branches that I can even try to make a nice clean cut with prunersÂ. Should I be applying any type of "treatment" to the exposed barkÂon the trunk?

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: maple

Comments (9)