SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisey_gw

Transplanting a small volunteer Bloodgood

chisey
12 years ago

My father has a mature Bloodgood japanese maple in his yard, and every year he gets new volunteers sprouting up around it. We've successfully transplanted some in the past, both in his yard and into someone else's, and now it's time for me to take one and put it in the front yard of my new house.

Some background and local info:

* I am in zone 6b/7a, east TN, and the leaves are just starting to turn around here (but everything is still mostly green).

* The soil in my yard should be comparable to the soil in my father's yard.

* It will be moving from mostly shade (under the parent Bloodgood and near the house) to mostly sun.

* The seedling I plan to grab is very young-- it's probably 2-3 feet tall at the most, and the trunk is probably 0.5".

* I will try to get the biggest rootball I can, but it is sure to be tangled with the roots of some other landscape plants, so I may be able to get more roots on one or two sides and not evenly all the way around.

* I intend to transplant in about two weeks, but can wait a little longer if it would be better.

I have read the proper procedures for planting trees (root flare just above grade, wide planting hole, etc.) but is there anything in particular I need to watch out for in transplanting this Bloodgood? I've never planted a japanese maple before.

Thanks for any input or advice!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County