SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikeasetrease

New JM Bloodgood won't drain

mikeasetrease
17 years ago

Hello all,

My first post, so I'd like to say hello! Also, I'm in search of some advice and it looks like there's a lot of, on this site:)

I just bought a beautiful JM Bloodgood from a local nursery. The tree has to be at least 10 years old and the price reflected it....haha:( Anyhow, it was potted in a huge plastic pot. I just transplanted it last week in full sun (hopefully she does fine). I'm seeing a few signs of stress, I.e the leaves at the top are getting a bit crisp. Maybe from TP shock or maybe just too much sun. The problem I'm having is, it won't drain. When I water it, the water just sits at the trunk for a few minutes until it finally soaks in. I'm wondering if this is the problem? Also, it looked as though, it was just packed in that pot. The soil media I used, was a mix of sphagnum, organic topsoil and some michigan peat, along with a small percentage of sand. Is there anything I can do to open it up, the soil that is? I have about 2-3 inches of mulch surrounding it, except for a 1" diameter around the trunk where I've opened it up for breathing. Can ya'll give me some advice as to what I should do?

Thanks so much! Great site and I plan on stickin' around:)

Mikee

Comment (1)