SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chelydra

How to over-winter tiny seedlings?

chelydra
18 years ago

Some more-money-than-sense neighbors cut down a superb Japanese maple this summer to make room for planting trees (??). Before they bulldozed the area, I snuck in and salvaged about three dozen tiny seedling, presumable from last year's seed. They were in oak-leaf litter in deep shade.

I crudely loaded them into trays with potting mixture, and gave them too much sun but lots of water. Essentially all survived, and every one's different! So I'd like to keep them all alive for a few more years, at least. Size ranges from delicate and under 2" to relatively robust and 6" tall.

Question: how do I store them for winter? They seem much too small to put out; would likely get dug up by some animal or otherwise damaged. Should I bury the whole works in wood chips, keep moist in the unheated garage (freezes occasionally), keep in the cool cellar or a closet? What about moisture levels and freeze/thaw? Do they need to see light to know when to break dormancy?

Thanks for all advice. I've done plenty of vegetative propagation, but trees from seed is less familiar.

Comments (6)