SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheilaschnauzies

Update On My New Gardens

sheilaschnauzies
15 years ago

Just stopping by to say hi to all my fellow hosta lovers! I'm the one who tried to move most of my hosta a year ago January from Nebraska to southeast Missouri. Happily many of the plants survived and are now thriving!

I was able to go up to my old house in Nebraska about a month ago and pick up a few plants to take home. Actually I should say "rescue" them, as the owners had just sprayed all my gardens with Roundup preparing to sell the house! THe plants had to sit at my daughter's apartment (since I was flying) for a month until my son could drive them down to me. About 50% survived, not bad considering my daughter is NOT a gardener yet!!

Quickly realizing I didn't have enough space to hold the plants, I starting making circle beds around our four front trees. I removed a lot of hosta from my front porch bed, moving them to the new beds. They had overgrown their homes already in just a year. Yay!

I made a separate bed for the plants I'd just gotten from Omaha and named it my old street number in honor of the former gardens there that Scooty had contributed so much to.

I still had more plants that needed to come out of the porch garden so I started the massive project of planting the back side (we have lots of dogs) of our back yard fence. There are ten 8-foot sections of fence, so far I have planted 3 sections. This could take awhile! It is so much fun to "start over" with all my gardens and make things look the way I want them to.

I also was lucky to pick up some $15 range rose bushes at Walmart a few weeks ago for $2 each on clearance!! They had remodeled their garden center and wanted to sell out rather than have to move all the plants back indoors. So I was able to get rose bushes for most of the fence posts out front by the pond. Yay!!

We have had massive amounts of rain here in our area. The road 1/2 mile down the hill from us was closed due to flooding for almost a month! We are lucky to be living atop the hill and have great drainage obviously, so all of my plants are very happy at this point. The soil is just perfect.

Once everything is moved where I want it, I need to start the project of identifying all the hosta once and for all and giving them permanent name tags. My DH will probably never get me to leave this land so I figure the hosta and other perennials are in their "forever" home now. At least for MY forever.

I counted up yesterday, and I am up to 12 separate gardens now in all different sizes. Not bad for being here just over a year, I guess. It's starting to look "familiar" to me, being surrounded by my old familiar hostas etc.

Wish all of you a wonderful summer and enjoy those hostas! Garden hugs, -Sheila

Comments (4)