SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canadianplant

Acer Palmatum in zone 4

canadianplant
11 years ago

I did, what many people in my city have fallen for, and purchased a Japanese Maple. The difference is, I usually grow things that "shouldnt" grow here anyways (like bamboo).

Background:

I seen a foot tall, 2 gallon, decent looking plant for 25 bucks (relatively cheap for a Jap maple as far as ive seen on the net) and got it. They had it in full sun on hot concrete, next to an aluminum rack. I put it in a place where it gets 3 hours or so sun in the morning and a few hours off and on during the evening. It gets full shade during the rest of the day (north wall of neighbors house). Also keep in mind, it is still in its pot.

How will I manage to get it to survive? One, I have reliable snowfall, average is 4-6 feet, last few years have been 2 - 3 feet. It will be planted in between 2 houses that are roughly 10 or 12 feet apart. I also mulch my garden with a foot or 2 of leaves.

Questions:

Im pretty sure I can get away with growing this for a decent amount of time. Im wondering how well it does in competition with other plants. I know some plants dislike any competition.

Im also wondering how it does with heat and light? I always pictured the dissectums to be shade lovers due to their small stature, and red dragon (the type I have) is apparently small and slow growing. The best place to ensure survival is next to my house foundation, or next to the garage, both of which are planted beds (fruit trees, various shrubs, and vines etc). Those walls are both south facing.

Comments (9)