SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jschu121

Climber for brick wall - clematis, rose, or other

jschu121
13 years ago

Hi All,

This is my first posting on the GW forums. I've enjoyed reading these pages for the past few months and decided to join. I just purchased my first home and look forward to doing some more gardening.

We live in the end unit of a brick rowhome. The end wall is approximately 30'x30' and faces due west (it gets sun from noontime on). The wall gets pretty warm in the summer and I'd like to grow something to cover it as best I can. I also think it's a great canvas for a beautiful climber. I've come up with two ideas, and I'm curious if anyone has any input or other suggestions.

1. Clematis montana grandiflora. I thought of planting two or three along the wall and using a wire trellis to anchor the plant. Should be hardy in zone 6b.

2. Climbing rose - like Pauls Himalayan Musk. Actually, I was ready to order it today and person at the nursery dissuaded me. I have a narrow bed along the house to grow and she said Paul's will get too out of control and it will be too hard to spray. Anyone have experience on this? I though I'd be able to prune unwanted shoots, but the nursery attendant seemed to think it a loosing battle.

I appreciate any input. Thanks for your help.

Comments (6)