SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jrslick

Kinda quiet around here, how about an update.....

It has been so quiet here, I thought I would post an update and see how things are going.

For me, it has been an interesting season. Sales are better than last year, but that is deceptive, I have been selling more and for longer than last year. The high tunnels have saved my bottom line many times.

The August slump is here. We are just powering through. This is also my busiest time at school. We start school on Thursday and I have done just about nothing there. I am riding on my 10 years of experience to get me through the first two days.

About the garden. I have been working hard at the succession planting. It has been extremely hard with all the heat and now moisture. The weeds are trying to win, but I am trying to beat them back as much as possible. I still am harvesting lots of thing. Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Zucchini, Okra, Peppers, Potatoes, Onions, Leeks, and Cherry Tomatoes. We have been very busy getting crops started too. I have direct seeded carrots, green onions, spinach and lettuce. Which I am happy to say are all coming up nicely. I also have lots of seedlings to go out in the high tunnels. I have also started another 720 cells tonight. I am getting better at transplanting. It can really buy you time when you need it. Instead of spending hours I don't have tilling and preparing ground, I seeded the trays and that will buy me 2-4 weeks.

My two big projects, sweet potatoes on black plastic and a 1/2 acre of winter squash are doing great. I am battling weeds with the winter squash but after a 4.5 hour weeding marathon, I feel better about the patch.

Winter Squash

{{gwi:17596}}

A before the weeding marathon

I am kinda embarrassed to even post that picture, but maybe it will get me to try harder to keep it cleaner. However, the 30 mile trip only happens once a week and I only spend about 4 hours there each time.

Sweet Potato Patch

{{gwi:50346}}

I am also trying my hand at some late season tomatoes in one of my movable buildings. We will see what happens. They are growing like crazy and blooming away. Lots of them are just setting on. I hope they start to produce my the 23rd of September.

How about you?

Jay

Comments (3)

Sponsored