SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denise_gw

Pretty quiet here...

Denise
11 years ago

I'll try this again... I tried posting, had a long post all written, went to preview it and got a nasty message because I mentioned "the Hawaiin vendor who shall go unnamed." I thought we were past all that on this forum. It makes me so mad I could spit, so I e-mailed them asking what the heck she did to P.O. them. I mean, they claim she spammed this site, though I've been here practically since the beginning and I never saw that at all. And I mentioned, BTW, that I don't understand how she did something more horrible than all these stupid pop-ups we get here...

Ok, rant done. What I said before (which I couldn't go back to...grrrrr) was that it's probably been quiet around here because everyone's like me - watching things starting to gear up as the days get longer and longer. Except for Old Faithful (lacunosa), nothin' is a-bloomin' at my house. Well, no Hoyas anyway. Those Crown of Thorns are great winter bloomers...

But there's new growth hither and dither. I'd say about 30% of the species that were dormant are showing varying degrees of new growth. A few I'm particularly excited about...

H. meliflua - I moved it to an east window in my sunroom last summer because it hadn't bloomed for me since 2010. In fact, it didn't really even grow much the last couple of years. Well, it's got at least three new points of new growth and if I can protect the new foliage, it should be a good year for it. (Have you noticed some species like meliflua are very prone to dropping new growth if you practically breath on it?!) Anyway, it's looking very happy and settled in to the east window...

Then I pulled out merrillii - and this is where I mentioned the Hawaiin vendor who shall remain nameless. I got it from "her" back in 2008. It has yet to bloom for me (any suggestions??), but oh boy, does it look fat and happy!

I got H. obscura aff. Philip from Gardino's last year. It had those lovely red tones when I got it, but within a few weeks, it had faded back to green. Dang. So this winter, I put it in my sunroom south window so that as the sun moved south it was getting some hours of full sun. And it worked!...

It's got lots of new growth coming on, too. Maybe it will bloom for me this year. My old clone of obscura was an aggressive bloomer, but I lost most of it winter of 2011/12, which is why I got this one. I still have a piece of the old one and it's doing well, so surely one of them will give me some blooms this year!

And then I wanted to mention a new one for me - from Gardino's. H. krohniana - I guess this used to be considered a clone of lacunosa, though seeing it in person, I see little resemblence...

I really like it. It's very cute and succulent and compact. I look forward to seeing how it grows.

What's new with you guys?

Denise in Omaha

Comments (13)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor