SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ezochi

Zone 5 JMs

ezochi
17 years ago

For those of you interested, this week I visited Rich's Foxwillow Pines Nursery about 45 min. from where I live where they had many varieties of JMs growing for a number of years in zone 5a (many more than listed on their website). It was really nice, and it puts to rest (at least for me) all of those books, internet sites, etc., that have listed the "exotic" cultivars as zone 6. I have been trying to get accurate info on zones for JM's and have been wondering how to do this since I really started getting into this JM collecting this year since many sites contradict each other regarding different cultivars.

The problem was compounded by local nurseries that stopped carrying them or only had the common cultivars. Even local gardens didn't help in this regard as I've posted in the summer. So what I really needed was to actually "see" in person growing cultivars in zone 5a--yes, zone 5a. I was finally able to do this at this nursery. in fact, I saw for the first time many cultivars in their near mature state. I had never seen a large 'shaina' or 'seiryu' for example. To add to the amazement the area of the nursery can push to zone 4b! Therefore, it is squarely in 5a.

No doubt then that JM's are indeed much hardier than given credit for. Having said this many of the JMs are growing in the understory of larger trees, protected from the wind and in the midst of many smaller trees (other JMs and related Acers). ASs and AJs of course abound at this nursery. In fact I picked up a real beautiful AS 'Aureum' Full Moon Maple.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor