SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
firebird_81

Heat-tolerant trees/shrubs?

firebird_81
17 years ago

Hi everyone! It's been a while since I've posted - I hope everyone is doing well, and enjoying getting outside.

I have a landscape dilemma. Out at the end of my driveway, I have a large stone that was excavated when the house was originally built. It's part of a medium-sized (maybe 80-100 square feet?) planting bed where I've tried out a series of different flower combinations over the past 5 or 6 years.

The issue is that the spot receives full sun from the time it comes up in the morning until it sets at night. It gets so hot out there in the summer that it requires an enormous amount of watering to keep it looking nice, but I just don't have that kind of time anymore (I have a 13-month old and am 5 months pregnant). I can certainly water every 2 or 3 days. There's no moving the rock, so the bed has to stay there.

Do you have any suggestions for small trees, shrubs, and flowers that can tolerate that kind of sun/heat? I had Cannas planted out there and they really thrived, but needed quite a bit of watering (not to mention the Japanese Beetles went nuts on them, and I'm not a big fan of using Sevin).

Thank you for your help!

Comments (10)

Sponsored