SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cobbler1980

Silver Maple, needs to be removed, Need advice

cobbler1980
16 years ago

Hello, we just bought our first house last year. In the front yard is a rather large Silver Maple.

I would hate to lose the tree but it seems we have no choice now. It is pushing up the sidewalk toward our front door. The sidewalk section is a good 2-3 inches above the surface and a MAJOR tripping hazard.

It is also pushing up and cracking our driveway, and one of the larger roots is headed right towards our foundation and already moved into the middle of the yard.

We got a quote and it isn't to unreasonable, but we will also need to grind out the stump and roots.

Will this totally kill the tree, meaning the roots will stop growing?

I am unsure what to do with the roots that are growing under the cement, how do we get rid of those without having to dig up everything? Way more expense than we can deal with right now.

Also we are looking to replant as it is our only tree, I just don't want something whose roots are going to do the same thing. I was thinking a Norway or Sugar Maple. Any suggestions for replanting? We do live in the city and our lot size is 65x135 with more yard in the back than the front. (Tree will be going in the front yard).

Thanks for any tips / suggestions!!

Comments (11)