SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
timmylaz

Market Gardening- WOW, what a tough sport!!

timmylaz
13 years ago

Well, I haven't posted anything on here since it was so cold their wasn't much else to do. We had a good spring. Our second year at the market and our salad mix was popular and so were the potted herb plants. Now it's HOT! OK, maybe I just need to vent for a minute in a forum which most of my frustrations are shared. We are experiencing turmoil in our gardens at the moment and it's driving me crazy. Trying to be "organic" and natural is more of a challenge than I would like it to be. So, what's the problem this year timmy?, you ask. Once again, good spring- few problems a few slugs on the lettuce and flee beetles making swiss holes in ALL greens. Now it's on.

Quick run down on one garden. Divided into 8 sections. Some crops take more than one section.

1- Beans- we have some bean beetles but the real problem is the morning glories. Before it got hot, and after planting the beans, the weeds got a chance to grow since it had been raining so much we couldn't set foot in the garden for anything, it was so mucky. Morning glories have taken over the beans. I've asked old timers and newbies their take-> this weekend we will till in the beans before the morning glories go to seed. 100% crop loss, maybe some nutrients added to the soil as the beans have some flowers and a few small beans.

2- Melons seem to have what looks like either anthracnose or bottom end rot. As soon as you're thinking, nice melons you see a soft spot that then turns dark and grows in size.

3-Squash- did you know that a squash bug is a stink bug? did you know their are 90+ types of stink bug? I even planted butternut hearing that they were restistent to the buggers. All squash is a wash this year. I have some long island cheese that look like they might make it but that's what the little stinkers do. They wait until stuff looks good and then BAM there they are.

4-melons again, just turned in that patch

5- cucumbers- this is one crop that is producing like mad for us, even though the cucumber beetles are all over and mr. stinky is there too. When one vendor has cucumbers everyone has cucumbers!!

6- Peppers- got beat up by the storms. Then I've had some with rot. Haven't seen the bugs on the peppers. Don't let stinky know! Overall peppers look pretty good. Let's hope that they continue that path.

7- Tomatoes- Nice looking plants. Again, got them in a little later than we would have liked since we couldn't get in to plant them in the mud. We even ended up walking o nard board to get in when we could. Early it was worms, BT took care of that round but not w/out damage. Then stinky makes the scene just as the maters are starting to fruit. Then HOT temps over 100 for more than a week, during which time we got 8" of DOWNPOUR in a weeks time. Today what do I see out there? No tiny little tomatoes as the flowers have dropped in the heat. Bigger tomatoes are beginning to ripen, but as they do they basically liquify right in the skin right on the vine. How gross trying to pull them off!

I have another garden nearby with similar issues.

What am I doing about it? Good question.

I used the BT early on to get rid of the worms. Now after noticing all the other issues I have purchased some Rotenone/Pytrethrum spray. Used once 2 weeks ago and then it's rained every other evening so I haven't been able to spray again. Gonna spray when I get home from work today no matter what the weather forecast is (night storms). I also bought some copper fungicide which I am going to spray Sunday to give the bug spray a chance to work first.

Last week at market I was almost embarassed to even be there...cukes and herbs made for a lowsy day. I am taking tomorrow off from the market and going to work at the house and garden. Try to stay positive and start some lettuce and greens and plant herb cuttings for the fall sales. So the sprays I've mentioned are sort of organinc. Lots of people (not my customers, but family, friends, neighbors) tell me that I should be using Sevin and not worrying about it. I stood in front of the chemical section at the Lowes and it felt like I was on the edge of a tall bridge lookind down deciding whether to jump or not. I stepped back! I know that next year I need to pre treat and stay ahead of the bug/fungus game. Hopefully this year isn't chucked! If any of you have had experience like this let me know how you handled it. Thanks for listening!

Comments (8)

Sponsored