SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
willameadows

Laminated Plant Signs

willameadows
17 years ago

I'm sitting here at the computer at 5:40 a.m. on a Saturday. I didn't go to the Market today, but my husband did. But I got up early to make a couple plant signs he needed. I saw a thread on this forum from awhile back about how to laminate signs for crops. So I thought I would share what we do.

We bought a laminator this year, for about $25.00 at Walmart, and it was a great investment. I make signs (@ 5" x 7")for each crop by going to Google, type in the plant name, and search "Google Images". That usually brings up lots of pictures. I find the one I want, then I copy it to a blank Word document (note that some images are copywrited, but many aren't), add text boxes and type in the description. (I copy it using the 'Print Screen" button on the keyboard, along with "Ctrl + C", open the blank document and hit 'Ctrl + V". That puts the whole screen image onto a Word document.) I crop the picture of the screen to get just the plant image, then insert a text box and add a description. Then I print the sign and laminate it. It has worked really well, and we have good looking, waterproof signs for all our crops. We clip the signs onto thin bamboo stakes and put one in each crop.

I don't know how/if this would work with other word processing programs, but it works with Word. When I click on the image that I just copied to the document, a tool box opens that has the tool for cropping. (It looks like #) Click it, then click on one of the little boxes that will be on each side of the image. Drag the box to where you want to crop to and release. It sounds complicated but is really easy.

I have used Print Shop in the past to make signs, but for me it is easier to use Word and find the images on Google. I don't know how to store the images I find as a picture file (like jpeg), so I couldn't use them with Print Shop. If anyone knows how to store images from the internet as a picture file, or how to change a word document with just a photo on it to a picture file, I would like to know how. There are web sites where you can buy images, or buy a subscription to get images. I have never tried that.

Well, it's 6:12 a.m. and I'm going back to bed. Hubby and I take turns going to market, and it's his turn, so my turn to sleep in!

Comments (3)

Sponsored