SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
storygardener

Central Ohioi Plant Swap/Potluck - Sat. May 21 - Thread III

storygardener
19 years ago

We've started a third thread for this gathering!

Hello fellow gardeners!

It's that time again! My name is Beverly - (also known as Storygardener) My good friend and gardening buddy, Mimi, and I have again reserved a covered shelter at a park in Hilliard, Oh (northwest suburb of Columbus, Ohio) for a plant swap and pot luck on Saturday, May 21, 2005

MARK YOUR CALENDAR!!

Here is the basic information:

Date: Saturday, May 21, 2005

Time: 10:00 am - 3:00pm

Place: Shelter #5, Hilliard Municipal Park, Hilliard, Ohio. The park is on Veterans Memorial Dr.

TRADING MATERIALS: plants, well rooted cuttings potted up, bulbs, shrubs, happy seedlings, garden ornaments,& bundled garden magazines, extra gardening implements, etc.

(PLEASE MARK ALL PLANT MATERIALS WITH THE PLANT NAME AND CARE REQUIRED!!!)

POT LUCK: Please bring a dish to pass with serving untensil & your own beverage We will provide plates, plastic silverware, napkins & cup. It's a good idea to mark your serving spoons etc. with your name.

DOOR PRIZES: If anyone wants to donate something for the door prize, please feel free. Last year we had many really neat prizes!!

This should be a wonderful chance to share your passion for gardening, meet other avid and learning gardeners, have a festive and delicious meal, acquire some new plants & share your extra's. Please come with a happy and sharing heart. Bring pictures of your gardens, flowers, etc. - if you like!

This is the plan for the day:

10:00 -12:00 - people arrive, sign in with name and number of plants, get name tag, put plants in viewing/swap area, put dish to pass away, visit with other gardeners & start viewing plants.

Noon - have lunch

After lunch - door prize(s) awarded

1:00 - swap begins

After swap - more visiting, pack up & goodbyes.

We must be out be 3:00 pm.

I've been to many swaps and really like this swapping style - a ROUND ROBIN. (people have liked it over the years, too) Round one - everyone select one plant. Round two - everyone select one plant. Round three - everyone select 2 plants, round 4 eveyone select 3 plant, round 5 everyone select 4 and so on and so on. This way everyone gets a chance to get some of the plants they really have on eye on. This works well and people have been very pleased in the past. Everyone should be able to take home as many plants as they bring.

Some tips for the day would include bringing a folding chair (sometimes needed), a box or container labeled with your name to put your new plants in after swapping & bring and mark your serving utensils for your dish to pass. If you have room in the car...bring an extra table, just in case.

Hilliard Municipal Park can be found by getting into Columbus, then go to the outerbelt, I-270 & go west, and getting off at Cemetery Road Exit. Go west again (towards Hilliard) on Cemetary Rd. Stay on Cemetery Road about 2 miles until right past Main Street (a traffic light). At this point you still go straight because Cemetery Road joins with Scioto Darby Road. Go about .4 mile down road until you get to Veterans Memorial Drive which is on the left.

Veterans Memorial Drive/Hilliard Municipal Park is off of Scioto Darby road on the left side of the road - across from Hilliard Heritage Middle School. (NOT hilliard Memorial Middle school - that, you'll see first.) Another landmark is that Veterans Memorial Dr. is where you see the Urgent Care. Shelter #5 is only about 1/10 mile from the park entrance. You stay directly on the park's main road and go .1 mile and turn right (just past all the flag poles). You'll turn right again quickly into a parking lot directly in front of shelter #5. The shelter just left of the children's playyard.

For a map...go to Yahoo.com, click on maps,& click on driving directions. Then put in your address and Veterans Memorial Drive, Hilliard, Oh for precise directions.

Alot of info here, I know.

I hope you can make it.

PLEASE EMAIL with RSVP so we can get a head count. (This helps us know how many plates, cups, etc. to bring)

This should be a FUN, informal day to share our love of gardening! I am contacting some of my gardening friends & alerting the Gardeweb.com people & the local garden club. Hopefully we'll have a good crowd. You should bring a gardening friend, too!

Please email with any questions.

HOPE YOU CAN MAKE IT TO THE SWAP!

good gardening...

...Beverly

Comments (100)

• ForestParker
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Folks!

How exciting it is to gear up to this fantastic event.

I have an appeal for warning labels, especially if something is invasive. I brought home a Chinese lantern from the spring swap last year an enjoyed it all summer. It looked good and I ate every last one of the berries--dee-lish! This spring, it spread 6-8 feet in three different directions with shoots every 4 inches or so. Another plant of unknown (to me)species has spread from one plant to a million in a 6-foot circle and grows faster than I can control it. It's amazing and frightening at the same time.

Anyone know about peonies? I potted up a nice-sized clump in March to bring to the swap--big fat roots! It's growing up fine and dandy in the pot, but has flower buds on it. Do you think the buds should be removed to promote root development after planting? I'm not an expert on this species.

Great gardening, everyone!

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

OOO..pineapple upside down cake sounds yummy! Thanks JoAnn!

Forest Parker - that is such a GREAT reminder. Yes, people should mark all INVAISIVE plants as such!

See you all soon...Beverly

• Related Discussions

Central Ohio Plant Swap/Potluck- Sat. May 21, 2005

Q

Comments (100)
    Hi Gina...it's NOT in bad taste to see if folks will be bringing certain plants they are looking for. It certainly isn't a secret. I think folks are anxious for people to get things they are looking for at a swap. In fact, some folks set up trades via email beforehand that are separate from the group swap - and put those plants in their cars before the actual big swap begins. (I think Hostalavista and Michigan Betty do that with certain hostas since they are both collectors) I will be bringing some pots of hardy crainsbill geraniums to the swap. Time (spring) will tell me which ones...later on. In fact, I am hoping someone has Achillea Taygeta. I would LOVE a division of that plant. Sounds like there will be quite a few folks bringing their left over winter sown plants for swapping!! Fun! Think sunshine!.......Beverly
    ...See More

Central Ohio Plant Swap/Pot Luck -Saturday, May 21, 2011

Q

Comments (123)
    Hi folks... I had a blast today at the swap. It was great fun to see so many long time friends and make some new gardening friends too. We had over 100 people and over 2000 plants for sharing. Awesome! At our first swap in 2001 there were 28 people... it's was so fun to see some of those same people at the swap today. Thanks to everyone for coming with such a kind and sharing heart - that's what it is all about. Everyone seemed to go home with lots of new plants. :-) Murray and I came home with some tomatoes, sedums, lillies, coneflowers and many more. Thanks so much. Of course, thanks to folks for bringing a wonderful array of tastey potluck food! I say this every year... gardeners sure can cook and bake. Thanks to folks that donated door prizes. We always get such a neat array of goodies to choose from One last thanks to everyone who came with a kind generosity of spirit. Good gardening to you all! Beverly
    ...See More

Central Ohio Plantswap/potluck- Sat. May 22 - continuation

Q

Comments (18)
    Hi everybody! I'd like to extend a huge thank you to Beverly and Mimi for hosting yet another incredible swap, mom and I had a great time (as usual!), enjoyed saying hi to everyone and picked up some wonderful plants. Oh, and had a fantastic meal as well! A big thanks to Steph and Hostalavista for the side trades, I love the hostas, heuchera and sedum and will treasure them in my little garden. :) I had a slightly different experience this year, after getting my fill of picks I spent a few rounds moving straggler pots into larger groups like I always do and ended up finding a plant I would have taken in the first round if I had found it earlier! Bonus! I brought 60, took home 10, and couldn't be happier. Well, I would have been happier if I could have walked the next day, I spent most of the week incapacitated and on pain meds, went to the doctors yesterday and found out I injured my achilles tendon. At least it's not torn, I start physical therapy next Monday. It's always something, ain't it? Like Steph said earlier, we aren't planning to do the swap this year, the cost for shelter rental was just too much for the smaller crowd that the fall swap brings in. I'd still be interested in going to a fall swap though, if anyone else wants to take up the task or knows of a less expensive venue, I know I'd be thrilled to attend and I'm sure mom would as well. And if not, I'll look forward to seeing everyone again next spring! Jeanne
    ...See More

Central Ohio Fall Plant Swap/Potluck-Saturday, 9/20/2008

Q

Comments (42)
    Hi Everyone, Sorry I didn't make it to the swap today.With everything that's been happening and going on with the weather,I totally forgot today is the day.I really was looking forward to seeing you all.We're really trying to clean up everythng and waiting for help getting things back on the house.We have lots of missing shingles to get back on and the back down spout is laying in the back yard still yet,Not to mention pieces of siding blown off are in the far back yard.And of course a very large tree limb thats too heavy for either of us to move plus all the broken tree limbs and trash that comes along with the ride.But we'll get it done.We were without electric and water from Sunday to Wed.I'm very thankful it wasn't any longer then that and no one was hurt.I'm sorry to hear some of you are still in the dark,But know it won't be long now.I'm very grateful to all the workers who gave up time being with their families and loved ones to bring our power back on. I had so many plants to bring today,But like I said"Totally slipped my mind". I guess I will save them for the Spring Swap.I hope to see you all then.I will miss you all so very much!!Hope you had a good one!! I know you did!! I'll be reading when I can get on line to see what you all swapped for and had to eat. Granny57x
    ...See More
  • granny57
    18 years ago

Hostalastiva, Thanks for giving me more to be excited about!!! (As if I could!!!!) I have been so anxious ever since I found out about this swap and read all about everyone else's excitement I can hardly contain myself!And even though I don't know anyone,I feel like we've been friends and Garden Buddies forever. I'm so looking forward to meeting everyone.Like everybody else,I will be trying to put as much together as I can over the next couple weeks.
    And after reading what everyone is bringing,I can't imagine
    anyone going home empty handed!!
    GRINS!!!!

• alison
    18 years ago

Forest Parker -- are you an actual Forest Parker? From Forest Park?

Don't worry about the peony. They are notoriously sulky about being transplanted. It won't bloom this year -- may not even bloom next year. But if it likes its new home it could bloom reliably for the next 50-60 years!

Spent several hours puttering in the garden Saturday and Sunday, potting things up for the swap. The yard is so pretty in the spring but I realize I have trouble taking good pictures of it because every year it's swamped with little pots fpor the swap meet!

• ForestParker
    18 years ago

Real, genuine Forest Parker...living right in the heart of Forest Park (west). Mine's the house with no lawn in front, because it's cram packed full of plants. At least there's very little mowing!

The peonies I potted up are going to bloom. I was just wondering if I should cut off the flower buds to make them concentrate on growing little roots for themselves.

• sunburygirl
    18 years ago

Beverly! I think you ought to bring that bed and enable someone else to get into cutting edge landscaping. You know someone's going to take a liking to it and convert it into a plant bed/trellis that will have all the neighbors talking!

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That's right Sunbury Girl! I remember seeing something on HGTV about a woman who ONLY made her garden "beds" with headboard & footboards on two opposites sides of her flower beds. In fact, folks from her town would bring her their old beds (even baby beds) so that they could be part of her unusual landscape. It was very COOL! Yes, I will bring it!

"Bed" or trellis - I'll probably have a taker.

Beverly

• happy_deb
    18 years ago

Hi everyone. I think I'll be able to make it up to see you all this year. Right now I'm planning on it just being my husband and I coming. I've got a good bunch of dark purple iris, a few stella daylillies, and a couple of other things I could bring. I've got some strawberry plants I could pot up if there is any interest in them. I heard someone say they'd bring tomatoes...I have a feeling those will be in high demand since all mine I started this year were in the garden last week when it hit 30.

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Happy Deb! It's great that you and your hubby are joining the fun! I am certain someone would be interested in your strawberries. Seems like there's an interested gardener for just about every plant out there! It will be nice to see you. Welcome aboard!!

Good gardening...Beverly

• alison
    18 years ago

Now that I have a fraction of my plants potted up and the backyard is already littered with little pots and planted styrofoam cups, I'm starting to figure out how I'm going to transport things.

I'm thinking I'll simply scotch tape all the same plant or types of plants together, and untape them at the swap. I'm also packing things up in boxes, and trying to group like things together, to make it easier to unload.

If we decided to organize things in different areas by categories, what categories are we using? I thought Herbs/Veggies, Sun-Loving, Shade-Loving, Annuals, Shrubs/Trees, perhaps even Enthusiastic/Potentially Invasive. Those categories would cover everything I'm bringing, at any rate!

• princess_mimi
    18 years ago

For Alison and all of the other inquiring minds that want to know, the catergories are:

Annuals
    Climbers
    Day Lilies
    Irises
    Roses
    Misc. Perennials and Biennials
    Vegetables and Herbs
    Ground Covers and Grasses
    Nonplant Items

We figured that nine categories are enough. We'll see how it sorts out this year and tweak it to improve it next year based on the data.

Hope that this helps you sort Alison! I curb shopped three plastic bread racks like you see in the supermarket. My neighbor must have "acquired" them and then tossed them. They're great because I just set my plants in them as I pot them and can water right through them! Then on the 21st I grab them and off to the park! Last year I used wooden grape crates that the produce guys at the store saved for me. Smile sweetly and ask. They just throw them away. Onion boxes are also sturdy but made from cardboard so you can't load them up until right before the swap. I guess milk crates would work like the bread racks for small plants.

Well, I'm sure that you all have your favorite ways to get your plant babies there safely.

My son, Isaac, helped me to design and make a totem hose gaurd for a door prize. I may be bringing some other garden decorations (I won't try to spell the other yiddish word!) as door prizes too.

Ten days and counting!

~~Mimi

• Dave_Z6
    18 years ago

HostalaVista:
    We think that our Mimosa we rec'd from you two years ago is dead.
    Our roofing contractor hit it twice with his dump truck last summer.
    No leafout as yet.
    Any chance we can get another ?
    Thanks
    Dave

• hagey
    18 years ago

We leave for Columbus a week from today, and I can't wait to get away from this 39 degree weather we have today. Hubby is even ready to go south.
    We have the front porch full, along the porch bushes, and the back patio. We had to pot 50 hostas up for my Garden Club sale, about a 100 for Columbus Exchange, and 40 hostas we winter over for my sister to take to the cottage. With the cool weather and heavy rains my arms are tired of carting them in and out.
    Is anyone bring named hostas besides Hostalavista? I do have some for you Hostalavista. We need a good chat about Winterberry.
    Beverly and Mini you have done an excellent job of advertising and tons of work on this Great Event. Will be happy to see you all in a few days. Betty

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Betty! Thanks...I can't wait to see you and Ron. Sounds like you've got things all set for your various swaps etc.

I know what you mean about pots winding around the beds going and down the yard! I've dug up about 140 plants. I am taking some over to Riverside Hospital Hospice for their fundraiser plant sale. I'll have nearly 100 myself to bring to the swap....YIKES!

Let's see...ostrich fern, circle flower, achillea the Pearl, Blue Queen Sage, named & unnamed daylilies, Hellebore Foetitus, oat grass, Red Husker Penstemon, Lavendar Munstead, chives, Ononclea Sensibilis (sensitive fern), some crainsbill geranium , iris, New York Asters, lychnis Snow Star, Kerria japonica shrub, etc.

I am getting excited!!

Weather.com says it's going to be good weather on May 21. Remember, though, they said that last year until the day of and then the forcast changed to rain. Come what may..we have a covered shelter - let the fun begin!

Beverly

• granny57
    18 years ago

Would any one be interested in any baby kittens? I have 3 to give to good homes. They are half Minx and adorable. They were born on the 21st of April and are in good health.
    For anyone who doesn't know what a minx kitten is, They are usually born without a tail.The mother kitten always has at least 1 if not more no tail kittens out of her litters. She had 4 babies this time and out of the four 1 is a no tail. We want to keep all the no tails and give the others to good homes. I would like to know if there are any interested parties before I bring them.I'm not sure what gender they are yet. But if you get a girl kitten, Chances are you may get a no tail baby out of her litter.
    I hate to split up the family, But I'm willing to do so to good homes.They truely are sweet and adorable.

• fourpaws2002
    18 years ago

Well, I haven't posted since the very begining thread,
    Boy am I excited !!!!!! only a week away :o)
    Quite a response for the swap this year, going to be an event for sure. I wonder if I could possibly eat over a 100 different foods-LOL
    Can you imagine all the different plants that will be there?!! AWESOME!
    I know I'll be scoping out the Hosta table.
    So glad to see annuals will have a place-(I think I over did it on the annuals-lol), but have lots of perennials to bring as well-at least 50 pots for sure.
    counting the days and potting more with each passing day, sure hope Joanne's(thinkdirt) suv can hold 'em all.
    What FUN !!!
    See ya all soon!!
    Linda

• Rastagecko
    18 years ago

We are getting excited about next weekend. I have potted up several dozen perrenials already and I have quite a few extra tomatoes to bring. I didn't do as many tomatoes this year and I got them started later, but I should have some ready for the swap, they just won't be quite as big as last year. I know that I will have some Brandywine, Lucky Cross, Noir de Crimmee, and stuffing tomatoes to bring as well as a few dwarf varieties. As far as perrenials go, I have two varieties of Jerusalem artichokes, some Japanese painted ferns I started from spores, a couple of sensitive ferns, Crimson Pirate daylily, a couple types of lamium including Gold Nuggets lamium, a type we bought last year and love, some Lemon Balm, Fringed Bleeding Heart, Trumpet Vine, and a few hostas: Golden Tiara, Lemon Lime, and a Ventricosa. I plan on potting up a few more things this week and we are going to a local swap tomorrow so we could pick up a few extra things there.
    The fun thing is going to be figuring out how to get both of the dogs, both of the kids, all of our luggage for the weekend trip to Columbus, and the plants into the van. We have had a few plant casualties in the past because things were not packed the best.
    Can't wait to see everyone and their plants.
    James

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Granny 57...hope you find some good homes for those sweet kitties!!

Linda (fourpaws)..I know what you mean - the food and plant potential are AWESOME!! This should be a grand gathering of gardeners!

James...sounds like you've got a good variety of plants. Yes, you've got LOTS of things for the van! Good luck on the packing. Can't wait to see you, Michelle and the kids!!

Looks like we have the "day off" today from our gardens today...lots of rain. This is the third year in a row that it's rained on the second Saturday of May. Hmmmm.

take care...Beverly

• pomly
    18 years ago

Oh I am so excited to have found out about this! I have lots and lots of irises to bring. Are people interested in house plants? I've got a bunch of those too that I'd like to bring... aloe vera, jade, etc...

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Pomly!! I am very glad you found this site with the plant swap info. I'll put you down. My good friend, Mimi, LOVES iris. (others love them too...but, she's kinda of an iris junkee -er - I mean collector.) LOL She'll be SO HAPPY to see more coming to the swap.

Yes, you may bring house plants. Please mark them as such.

It will be nice to meet.

good gardening...Beverly

• bakemom_gw
    18 years ago

DAY OFF FROM OUR GARDENS? This IS the time I love to garden b/c it's nice and cool for the plants and ma nature waters them in. I know many folks don't garden in the rain, but I'm the opposite. I wait UNTIL the rain to get going.

Anyone else or am I just a buckeye nut?

This is going to be a great swap!!!

• princess_mimi
    18 years ago

Pomly-Yes! Folks will be interested in your house plants. People have brought them in previous years and none were left at the end. I'm bringing 3 Amaryllis.

I also have red canna lily rhizomes. They get about 6 feet tall. Any one interested?

I painted up three birdhouse decorations to bring as door prizes. I also have the glass totem hose gaurd ready.

I'm so excited!

~~Mimi

• thinkdirt
    18 years ago

Okay one week and counting down to the big day, can't wait so excited plants and good food and great people, we all wait for this event all year and what a great time we all have, and yes fourpaws my SUV will have enough room for all our plants, and all the ones we will bring home.

Can't wait to meet everyone and to see those again from last year. SEE you ALL in A WEEK

JoAnn

• jeanne
    18 years ago

Karen, I'm the same way - I like working in the rain, or even better - just before it starts. I potted up 3 flats of Campanulas today, I find the rain is far less traumatic on those little seedlings than my gentlest watering can. :)

Beverly, I think it might work better if you change Roses to Trees and Shrubs. I know I've brought oodles of roses to past swaps, but I don't have that many this year. It was a tough year for cuttings, and the divisions of Therese Bugnet I potted last week didn't do well either - they will have to wait for the fall swap. I've only got a half dozen or so roses so far, I may have more if the De La Maitre de Ecole cuttings have grown roots - I'm potting them up tomorrow, so I'll know soon enough.

I'm up to over 100 plants potted up so far, my goal this year is to bring home no more than 20, lol! We'll see how that works out! ;) Everything I've got ready so far for the swap is on my exchange page, if anyone wants to check it out.

See you all soon!

• princess_mimi
    18 years ago

Jeanne- I say that I'll be bringing home less than I took every year. So far I've told the truth. One year it was only 5 less---but it was LESS!

The categories are just our best guess. We'll tweak the signage next year based on this year's data. Let's face it, we all bring different numbers of each thing each year. I'll probably NEVER get it right! Oh, well! I guess you all will just have to fire me! ;)

I'm getting excited. Scratch that. I AM EXCITED!!!!!!

My list of stuff to bring is on the front to the fridge and gets longer every day! Having so many people coming is both exciting and a little intimidating. However, I'm too stupid to know that I can't do anything so with Beverly's valuable guidance and help I bet we'll pull it off!

Counting the days.....

~~Mimi

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jeanne...you've got a GREAT list! I know what you mean..we say we won't take home alot - but, some things are always so tempting.

Bakemom - you must have been in your element on Saturday. I forgot how you love planting in the rain. Plunk in those WS babies!

OOO..this is going to be fun!

Weather.com says it should be nice on Saturday - but, you all know how that can change! Let's HOPE!!

Beverly

• alison
    18 years ago

Jeanne -- I'm with you; I'm afraid my rose cuttings won't be presentable Saturday -- but they should be repectable by the fall swap. My friend Barb will not be able to come to the spring swap, as it turns out, but she has cuttings of a shade-blooming forsythia that she'll bring to the fall swap!

When I sowed the big lasagna pans this winter, I took some pains to put together plants that were similarly hardy, but had very different leaf patterns, so I wouldn't get confused about which was which. I'm glad I did! I have so many winter-sown seedlings to pot up and bring to the swap that I was out in the backyard until almost 10 Saturday night. The lamppost light burned out and I thought I had to give up -- until I realized that the yellow pear tomatoes I was transplanting even felt different from the FMN and Immortelle on either side. Finished another 10 pots of tomato seedlings by Braille!

• albabela
    18 years ago

I am visiting Dayton a week after your swap. Margie (Granny57) has very kindly offered to trade on my behalf. So, I will be happy to post Dahlia tubers (I live in Seattle)to whomever I have set up trades with. In return, if you can pass my plants to Margie, I can get them from her in the first week of June.

This is what I have and it will be first come first posted :)
    Ala mode, Camano Thunder, Cheynne Cheif, Elma Elizabeth, Fuzzy Wuzzy, Idaho Red, Just Peachy, Mr. Brett, Nettie, Scarborough Brilliant, Santa Clause and Spartacus.(Google to see what they look like)

Because I garden on an itty bitty suburban lot, I have to be selective about what I can plop in the ground. So this is what I am looking for:

Hoya (Wax flower) Hoya carnosa
    Jasmine sambac (arabian jasmine)
    Plumeria (any)
    Ornamental grasses - Black mondo grass, Hakone 'Aureola'or 'All Gold'
    Stinking Hellebore - Helleborus foetidus
    double hellebores
    Linum lewisii, narabonese
    Baptista alba
    Brunnera Jack Frost
    (make me an offer ;)

I am also looking for 'holy basil' o. sanctum, annuals and various perennials as a surprize for my mother-in-law. Happy trading y'all, hope the weather holds up.

-Shilpa

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Alison...so clever!! Potting up your tomatoes in braille - love it..now I've heard everything!! Also, I've never heard of a shade blooming forsythia before..wow.

Hi Shilpa...too bad you won't be here the weekend of the swap. Hope you get some takers!

Jeanne & Alison..it's too bad about the roses. You never know what will or won't be ready. Mimi made and laminated the plant signs for the swap last last week. So, she won't be making any changes in that department for now. It's a good idea to consider, Jeanne!

Folks, we have 135 (including 3 infants) people interested attending the swap. If you happen to have room in your car (I know, ha ha!!) toss in a collapsable chair. Although...I can picnic on the ground if need be.

If we all come with a kind, patient and sharing heart - having so many people will make really fun and fabulous.

• gardengirl_17
    18 years ago

I can't believe it's almost here! You are all so inspiring, having potted up so many plants already! I have only a few so far and a lot more to go. I'm going to have to get it in gear! I plan to bring some variegated hosta (variety unknown), gold creeping jenny, groundcover sedum, coreopsis 'Baby Sun' seedlings, Knautia, Boltonia, Purple Coneflower, Moonbeam Coreopsis, Stokes Aster seedlings, Sweet Autumn clematis, scabiosa, dwarf iris 'Orange Tiger', maybe a poppy mallow, Monarda, Snow in Summer, Japanese Blood Grass, and maybe a few more if I have time. I'm also making a stepping stone to bring for a door prize. I'm looking forward to it so much---the plants and all the great food!
    Kim

• cecropia
    18 years ago

I'm bringing jewlweed,jack-in-the-pulpit,wild ginger,tansy,bee balm,variegated vinca,elderberry,spicebush,akebia,possibly yellowgroove bamboo (if anyone wants it) and more.Btw,are we supposed to put our names on the plant tags so we know who to thank?

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Kim..you've got a great selection of plants. I know folks will enjoy them in their gardens.

Cecropia...you don't have to put your name on the plant tags - you can if you like. Yes, it is nice to know where the plants come from. Sometimes we know - sometimes not. Great plants!! Can't wait.

The forcast looks good for Saturday. Let's hope it stays that way!

..Beverly

• ginam_oh
    18 years ago

It's here!!! Plant Swap Week is finally here!!!!!
    This is what I'm bringing:
    evening primrose
    strawflower
    purple coneflower
    calendula
    anise hyssop
    feverfew
    common thyme
    'Angel Face' rose (just one....she's not happy in my garden)
    sedum divisions (if I can get to them in time for Saturday)
    penstemon (red flowers)
    painted daisy
    love in a puff vine
    kiss-me-over-the-garden-gate
    birdhouse gourd vine
    rudbeckia (assorted)
    heliopsis
    hardy mum divisions (assorted colors)
    grasses--black moudry and northern sea oats--if I can get them potted up in time

.....and myself, if I can fit into the car after all those plants!!! :) My dad also whipped up another birdhouse, and I painted it--that'll come along for a door prize.

Can't wait to see everyone on Saturday.
    Gina

• alison
    18 years ago

Looks like I will have datura, hollyhocks, sweet sultan, toad lilies, coreopsis, larkspurs, green and white hosta, centranthus ruber, thunbergia, pink FMN and a few blue, yellow pear tomatoes, immortelle, several kinds of mint, red scabiosa, ROS, a few scented geraniums, snow-in-summer and... and... 8 million coffee cans!

(Plus a few door prize items!)

And five new recruits!

Getting excited!

• bakemom_gw
    18 years ago

Is anyone bringing Roma tomatoes? Mine didn't self-sow this year, although they could just be late b/c of the weather.

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I am so excited about all these plants and a other goodies. Alison..thanks in advance for your doorprizes. Gina..thank you and your Dad for the birdhouse.

We've come a long way from that first year...and the teacup birdfeeder as our doorprize!

Getting REALLY excited!

...Beverly

• hostalavista
    18 years ago

How about squeeeeeeeezing in my friend Diane??????

• hostalavista
    18 years ago

Hey fourpaws linda! what kinda hosta you looking for???
    I got a few!! hehe we must get together and talk!!!! hostalavista linda!!

I'm getting so excited I think I'm going to hyperventilate!
    Anyone bringing paper bags??? I may need one.! or two!!
    FOCUS LINDA FOCUS!!!

Alison, I need one of your yellow tomatoe for my grand-daughter, she is two, loves to pick them herself!
    and I didn't get any of those started!!she is sensitive to the acid tomato....
    remember in the fall the people who brought the tomatoes?
    I started some of them, do you remember the furry peach one? or did you see it?? I do have a start of those, want one???? trade ya! also the green grape germinated too, the red bullshorn, one that is green,pink and yellow and was soooo good, I bet I have at least 12 different ones from the fall tomatoes!! Don't know how many I will bring if any, everyone around here wants them... I'll try to sneak some out!

James, you started Japanese Painted Fern from spore! how interesting, and you have tomatoes too!!! yea!

I gotta get on the ball! I may be on here half the night reading about all the things everyone has!
    Dave, I sent you a message about the mimosa... linda

• alison
    18 years ago

Sorry, Linda; they only come in 4-5 packs. Carefully, painstakingly, transplanted-by-braille 4-5 packs.
    Means you can kill at least 3!

For those still transplanting for the swap, I learned something useful today. Browsing thru my nursery I noticed little garbage cans at the end of some rows, with plastic 3 and 4-packs that were either empty, or had dead plants in them. Other cans had 3" and 4" plastic pots. I collected a bunch of them, and some of the plastic trays and took them to the check out counter. I asked the rather harried cashier if I could have them, and she said sure. If I'd know that, I wouldn't be bring so many things in styrofoam cups.

Had a lovely bonding moment with my neighbors this evening, out in the backyard. They've been very patient about the mounting number of containers cluttering our little back yard, and my incessant babbling about what "we" will be getting from the garden swap. But tonight we got a 12-pack of beer, some sausage and corn on the cob, fired up the Weber kettle -- and spent an hour or so putting little stick-on labels with Latin names and planting instructions on each pot. While I had to take some ribbing about being the ultimate horti-geek, we had a great evening.

Little do they know that all those plants leaving the yard Saturday morning will be replaced be other plants coming in Saturday night....

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Linda (Hostalavista) - Sure, we've got room for Diane. Come on down!! It's all gettin' so exciting.

I've started a "pile" of things in the guest room - door prizes, plates/cups/silerware, sign in book, nametag stuff, door prize sign-up stuff - it's a happening!!!

Alison... thanks for sharing the pot/container info. They throw alot of those away anyway. I LOVE the cookout and labeling affair with your neighbors. Nothing like sausage, corn & beer to put everyone in the spirit! Actually - being the ultimate hort-geek is a PROUD title!!!!!!!!!

• hostalavista
    18 years ago

Hey Alison,
    4 0r 5 in a pack of tomatoes will be fine with me, I'll just try to get them on a trade!!! I'm good at killing plants too....
    You not only do braille, but eat sausage, corn, beer,
    (my kinda girl), I was wondering???? what order was this?
    latin, beer, label, then you label, beer, latin,
    then you laabbeell, beeerrr, llaattinnnn, then eat the latin corn, drink the sauage beer,
    and then you label the latin beer, and beer the label latin,
    Beeeeeeerrrrrrr, laaabbeeel, Hic, hic, Latttiiinnnnnnnn.
    I just wanna be able to do this right!
    I gotta go lay down,,,,, hehe, can hardly wait til saturday hic...

• thinkdirt
    18 years ago

OH Linda, LMAO what a great post sounds like the beer really worked. I can't wait for Saturday and the weather is going to cooperate WOW what a great day this is going to be. Allison can't wait to read those labels boy are you going to take a ribbing if they are written wrong, we will have to take your beer away for sure LOL but it sounds like you had a great time with the neighbors, wish I had neighbors like that.

See you all saturday.

JoAnn

• pastvast
    18 years ago

Anyone else coming from NW Ohio (Toledo area)??

If so are you interested in carpooling? I'm willing to be either the driver or the passenger. I've got a station wagon, so we should have no problem fitting in both our plants.

If you're interested, email me!!
    -Stephanie

• Dave_Z6
    18 years ago

Bakemom:
    I'm about sold out but think I have a few sauce/paste tomatoes
    left. Will try to bring a few Grandma Mary's and Rosalie's Giant Paste.
    Dave

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi folks...dare we say that it looks like good weather! I am getting excited. Mimi was working on street "Plant Swap" signs yesterday. I've been gathering all the "stuff", too. Only two days away.

We should have a whoop-dee-do time!!

....Beverly

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

You-hoo...........Hostalavista!!! Betty and Ron just dropped off all their swappin' plants for me to "babysit" until Saturday. Gee...your hostas from them would look mighty nice in my garden! ................................................Just kidding (of course)!!!!!!!!!

Wow...their entire car was full of plants! GREAT!

...Beverly

• ginam_oh
    18 years ago

Beverly and Mimi,

I plan (hopefully not in vain) to arrive about 9:30 so I can help as much as possible with setup, the sign-in table, etc.

Still musing over what dish(es) to bring.....looks like it'll be Plant Swap Surprise! :)

Gina

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Gina! Thanks SO much! Alison said she'd help folks at the sign-in table from 11 -11:30. We appreciate it! Others will pitch in too at the sign in table. Folks are so great about helping.

BTW, Gina---did all of your plants come back where the construction people stomped them last fall? Let me know!!! I'll get some replacements for you. I know you said some came back..can't remember which ones, though.

think swap...Beverly

• alison
    18 years ago

Nothing like travelling in a car full of greenery, is there?

I'm trying to figure out how to pack in a 7' cactus Saturday. If I swerve too far to the right, I could get a face full of needles....

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Be careful Alison!!!! Should I bring a First Aid Kit??

Well, folks....yes, we are gabby!!

I'll start a new thread.

Beverly