SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heidi_wa

Japanese maple for full sun

heidi_wa
15 years ago

I'm looking for a medium size Japanese maple that can tolerate full afternoon sun in the Pacific Northwest (northeast of Seattle, specifically). I want a shrub/tree for a prime spot in garden beds I'll be planting in front of our newly completed front porch this fall. The bed is 12 feet deep, and the pergola over the porch is about 12 feet above ground level. The house faces southwest, so it gets full sun almost all day. My rural location and 600 ft altitude make the temperatures a little lower than in the city, and the bed is the one on my property where I'll be putting plants that regularly need supplemental water.

I would like to have about 8-12 feet of height with a vase/upright shape, along with some horizontal element (otherwise I'd choose a witch hazel). I'd like green summer leaves and would prefer a reddish fall color more than yellow. I want more of an airy structure, rather than dense, because I want to see the branch structure as well as see through the tree from my kitchen window to the driveway.

Is this possible? There are so many cultivars that I can't sort through them efficiently, so I was hoping for a narrowed down list to look at.

Heidi

Comments (20)