SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

silver maple seedling won't stop growing!!!

hairmetal4ever
18 years ago

I have a silver maple seedling. It sprouted this past spring from a 'key' that landed in a pot of old soil that was on my back porch from last summer (yeah, my garden needed cleaned up LOL). Anyway, the resilient little guy survived a long period with no rain so I figured it deserved a shot at life, so I began watering and feeding it and watching it take off. I realize they aren't the best yard trees, but I figured I could plant it at the back of my property (414 feet from the house) where it can't hurt much and will eventually provide a more attractive view than the industrial parking lot that backs up to my property.

Anyway, in early July I repotted and fed it and it's now 30 inches tall! Problem is, it is still soft and green and making lots more new growth! Shouldn't it be "hardening off" for winter by now? Or at least starting to? The mature silver maples here are done growing for the season by now. Once it goes dormant I plan to put it in the ground at the back of my yard but it appears it might not go dormant!

Comments (9)