SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mylespickett

Up to date JM suppliers worth trying out...

mylespickett
11 years ago

I know this has been discussed on the forum some time ago, but there are a lot of new growers and nurseries, as well as new online suppliers (which is what I'm most often purchasing from) that people might not have heard about. Also many companies go out of business for various reasons all the time, or they change management, which can overhaul a nursery and turn it into a paradise or a desert. So if anybody wants to chime in on some newer experiences with all of you're purchases or service you received, it would be graciously appreciated. I will start by naming a few places with some insight.

japanesemaplesandevergreens.com - I've gotten a lot of good deals here, some new grafts (I'd say a 6-7 out of 10 on graft and scion quality, hard to beat $13 per 1yr graft on 2 yr rootstock) I've gotten a 4 yr old kiyohime for about $17!

maplestoneornamentals.com - huge selection of I think just 1 yr grafts for $15 I believe. I received 3 trees, one of which still survives... Who knew geishas were so heat tolerant!

In town nursery

River valley horticultural- 22 greenhouses and 1/3 are full of 3-15 gallon acers. They have a sale on all summer all 3 gallons for 30$ !!! Needless to say I splurged :)

Most of the other places around here sell her typical Arkansas selection: tamukeyama, crimson queen, the blood good and emperor varieties (which are so plentifull they look like a natural part of the scenery now, Sango kaku, butterfly is pretty much yer only variegated down here besides "roseo marginatum", which I think is a kagiri or Kara ori nishiki with another name because a lot of down home Arkansans would be stumped on those names ;) jk.

And most places here naturally never prepare for our inevitable endless summer heat and sun... So by mid June most nurserys start lookin a little sad.

Any one wanna chime in on some local or mail order suppliers with a good rep, preferably with some first hand experience?

Comments (6)