SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ericrodriguez

Help with Sango Kaku issue

ericrodriguez
9 years ago

Hello All,

After we moved into a new home last year, we had to choose some trees for our front yard (which did not have a single tree). I always admired coral bark maples and decided to plant a very large (~10' tall, ~7' wide) one. We LOVE the tree, but last July, we started noticing the leaves that get the most direct sun turning orange, then red, then to a light burnt brown with dark brown burnt tips. Last summer was very hot (we live in the SF Bay Area), and I just figured that the tree's roots needed some time to adjust to its new surroundings.

Now fast forward to this summer, and we are starting to notice the color changes starting again. I am now worried that the tree is just getting too much sun where I planted it. The problem is that the tree was hard enough to move and plant last year due to its large size, and I think it would be either impossible or ridiculously expensive to try to move it to a better location.

I am very sad in that tree is pretty much the focal point of our small yard, and I hate the idea of it having burnt leaves 3-4 months of the year as it gets even bigger. On the other hand, I don't want to give up on it too soon or before I try remedy the situation if possible.

In the hot summer months, we have our drip system set to watering it 3 days a week (while making sure we don't over water it). I think the soil drains fairly well. The tree gets direct sun from about 11am onward.

Can anyone out there offer me any advice? Do you think the tree will do better on its own as the root system evolves? Should I try to water it more? Less? Is there anything I can do short of trying to move it?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

--Eric

Comments (2)