SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
margi1533

if you could have only 1 (Floating Cloud, Orangeola, Baldsmith)?

margi1533
17 years ago

We are looking for one more plant - a Japanese maple - for our patio. It will be in a container and get morning light or filtered light all summer (but never full hot afternoon sun).

I have found, in local nurseries, 3 varieties that each look wonderful but alas, can't buy all 3. I was hoping that people more experienced than I can comment on these three possibilities. Here are the 3 varieties and a little more about each:

a) Floating Cloud (the one I found is already between 4 and 5 feet tall and looks very healthy. It has some pnk in the leaves even though it's in a shaded area of the nursery. It's selling for $150, and I'd also have to buy a very large pot for it, so this would probably be the most expensive total package.

b) Orangeola (also a nice, full size but it's not so big at the bottom that I'd need a super large pot right away.. I love what I read about the spring and fall color. Right now it's red and green and just a bit sun-burned at the leaf tips (it's kept in full sun at the nursery). Would it color up in our filtered light patio?

c) Baldsmith. I found a big, full one at one nursery for $170 but also found a younger one for $60 that is still staked and has a nice curved-but-ultimately straight and healthy trunk.

I'd appreciate any comments on all or any of these 3 varieties.

Comments (5)