SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
awamike

Baby Acer palmatum Sapling Care. Advice needed!

AwaMike
11 years ago

Hello all! I am new to the forum and completely new to gardening/horticulture as well. I received this Acer palmatum (we call it kaede) seedling 2 days ago from the students of an agricultural high school that I work at in Shikoku, Japan. I'd like to do my best to keep it alive, and if possible, I'd prefer to pot it for the short term, as I live in an apartment.

If you can provide me with any care advice or cautions I'd be really grateful!

Current conditions:

*about 25 cm long (estimate)

*growing in a very porous, lightweight bulb of mossy soil

*bulb is soaked in water for a few seconds every morning

*seedling is placed next to a north-facing window in the morning, receives no direct sunlight (though it's been raining anyway)

*stable temperatures of 25c-30c

*receives 3-4 hours of fluorescent (sorry I don't know the wavelengths) light each night from a standard ring shaped ceiling bulb.

Thoughts and concerns:

*Was thinking of potting it in rather acidic soil and a 4 inch pot once the roots poke out of the bulb.

*There are a few very small dead or shriveling leaves, should I prune them off? I feel that may increase available energy to healthy growth but maybe it's way too early?

*Is currently winding around a thin white wire (I think to make it look cool)but it seems to me that this shape may be a problem as it grows, so I am trying to slowly straighten it out while it is still flexible.

Thank you in advance and sorry if I am terribly ignorant about what this little tree needs! From what I read, keeping these alive at this stage can be quite tricky, but I'd like to give it my best!

Comments (4)