SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

show some free seeding companions

User
9 years ago

I can always use something which is a polite and lovely free seeding companion plant. I don't worry so much about them choking the hosta, since I am a pothead. However, I like to have the pots nestled in the protective shade of nice companion plants.

Most of what I have is the liriope muscari, which spreads by underground runners. I have some which is 2 foot tall (well, within an inch or so of being that tall), and I'd like to have a bit more variety in the sunny end of my garden. The liriope is better for the shadier locations.

The new section is the north end of the 25 foot wide x 100 foot long hosta garden. It currently has blueberries in two rows and a few roses against the privacy fence. One boundary to the east is the 7 foot tall jasmine-covered chainlink fencing. I want to locate my largest pots in between the blueberries, which may soon find themselves without a home. Also at this end will be my "garden bench" potting area, not especially pretty under the best circumstances, but utilitarian and as nicely arranged to look like honest tools of a do-it-yourself gardener. That will go in when the fencing guy shows up to install the latticed screen to shade the 40 foot long strip of garden now exposed to the western sun. Currently I'm using about 5 big patio or market umbrellas which I do dearly love, and without which I'd have many crispy critters instead of lovely hosta. But, their shade is fleeting and only "spotty."

I'd much prefer to keep the plants in some sun and the pots in some shade. Therefore, I'd like to see some free seeding plants which can prevail against mulch and pine bark and shade my black pots and the exposed earth thereabouts.

I love gold and green. I also have huge rosemary officinalis in the front on the west of my house, but I do not think it will like being watered so much. It works well where it is because all the plants are able to endure dry conditions. It is in a bed I do not water......well, DH has a drip hose there, but I don't think he watered that bed this summer so far....

Any ideas and pictures please? Tell me how you use it and how extensively it reseeds. I don't worry about "too much" because I have hundreds of wild birds coming to the smorgasbord of insects, worms, water, and fruits already present. .

Gotta take the SUV and pick up more mulch and compost/manure bags at Lowes. After while, Crocodiles!

Comments (34)