SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeanleecole

planting new perennials now?

jeanleecole
19 years ago

Hello--

I've just joined the list and am relatively new to Maryland gardening ... though I must say that it's a heckuva lot easier to garden here than in Texas, where I first started ... ! Getting water from the sky is a wonderful thing.

I just received a shipment of perennials (in plastic potlike containers and a fern in a plastic baggie) that say they should be put in the ground ASAP, but we're still having overnight lows here (Baltimore) in the mid- to upper-20s. Will it kill these plants to put them in now, or will they be ok? The labels on the packages say some of them are "semi-dormant."

The plants are: rose mallow, ostrich fern, carnation, toad lily, clematis jackmanii.

It seems awfully early to me, but maybe it's ok to plant perennials? My past experience w/ perennials has involved either dividing established ones or planting from pots well into the season--and most of this in an area that hardly ever froze--so I'm a bit at sea here.

If I should hold off planting them, should I leave them in the containers they're in, or should I pot them? Leave them in a cool dark basement or put in the light? And is it ok to leave the fern in the plastic bag it came in?

Thanks for any help!

Jean

Comments (5)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals