SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
1chrischan

Is it too late to plant perennials now?

bellafiore
8 years ago

I live in the Milwaukee area and have some hosta and daylilies thatI want to put in, as well as a couple of shrubs. Am I too late?

Comments (8)

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    8 years ago

If you have 3-4 weeks before the ground freezes you will be fine. I am sure the daylilies will do okay--I have had them survive being left in a plastic garbage bag on the patio all winter. You will need to be sure to keep the shrubs well watered until the ground is frozen.

• bellafiore
    Original Author
    8 years ago

thanks, Raee. I'll go out today and get them in!

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z6a)
    8 years ago

For sure you have time. Just anecdotally, in my zone 5, I remember planting a couple of "Sweet Joanne" Penstemon December 1 and they made it through just fine. I really enjoy planting in the Autumn. The problem is that the plants one wants often are not available at this time so one has to plan ahead.

• pitimpinai
    8 years ago

I am sure Hosta will do fine as well. I just moved several clumps last weekend. I may move another clump of hosta next weekend if a trader sends me more bulbs. I want to plant them right where that hosta is.

I also planted 4 tree seedlings two days ago, one is 2 1/2 feet tall, one is 3 1/2 feet, the other is 4 ft. tall. I hope they will be fine.

• felisar (z5)
    8 years ago

I would recommend 2-3 inches of mulch around the plant to decrease chance of frost heave However, avoid placing any multch on the plant crown since this might promote rot.. Another way to offer protection would be to place a pot over the plant and weigh it down with a brick or stone.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    8 years ago

No, it is not too late.

• bellafiore
    Original Author
    8 years ago

thank you everyone for your responses.
    i'm planting my plants for sure!

• grandmamaloy
    8 years ago

You should have plenty of time, but you never know with Momma Nature. :) I would mulch well around all of them and make sure to cut your hostas and daylilies down to the ground after the first frost, moving the mulch over the top of the plant. For the shrubs, if it appears you will have ice or really frigid, drying wind, I would make sure to have some plant covers on hand. (I always keep some handy, but make sure to take them off when you have sunny, less frigid days again) Snow, of course, will insulate, but new shrubs are susceptible to winter kill with hard frosts, ice and really cold temperatures without the snow. Have fun! I love planting this time of year!

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant covers for your shrubs