SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merseygal

Help with a acer palmatum atropurpureum

merseygal
10 years ago

I have just bought 2 acers, approx 30cms high, I have put them outside in their original plastic pots. Quite a few of the leaves have gone brown & brittle & withered looking, there are some new purple shoots coming through at the bottom. I don't know what to do, do I leave them to adjust to their new conditions & hope they come back better next year or is there anything I can do right now? I water them when the soil feels dry, they have good drainage, it is quite sunny in my garden but I thought the purple/red types would be ok in sunlight, they don't get sun all day but the sun dues come into the garden midday till late, I don't have anywhere that would give "dappled" sunlight as someone else suggested.
Any help would be appreciated, also I've fed them with miracle grow fortnightly up to now, I've had them just over a month.
One more question, do I leave them to grow freely or do they need support, I have them loosely supported on bamboo canes but don't know if I'm doing the right thing!! Never had a garden before so I'm a complete novice!!!!
Thanks

Comments (20)