SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenlydia_gw

Squirrel damage

17 years ago

I posted a question about squirrel damage and was told they were probably stripping the bark for nests. Ok, I'm more than willing to share a bit of bark for the babies, but now I have lost 4 good size brances! I'm not sure what is causing the branches to break, my first hint that anything is wrong is when I notice all the dead leaves and then within a few days, the branch is just hanging there, broken. I probably wouldn't mind so much if this wasn't a really special maple tree...long story short, it's been in our family for over 50 years, migrating with my parents from Winnipeg, Canada where a cutting was taken from my sisters grave and has, over the years, left it's progeny at many homes. If this tree is going to die, could someone PLEASE tell me how to propagate it? When I got my "tree" it was a 5 foot tall stick that everyone laughed at. It's now a 60 foot beauty that is slowly being destroyed by Chip n Dale! Sorry for the rant, but every day when I go out there and rake up pounds and pounds of new strippings, I get heartsick. I don't have THAT many squirrels and just how big do thier nests have to be for crying out loud? They are also peeling my neighbors cedar tree to shreds! Somebody please help! Thanks

Greenlydia

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida