SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandy02256

growing autumn glory mums from seed (long question)

sandy0225
14 years ago

I did this last year, but I had problems.

They say they only get 12 inches tall and 20 inches across. But mine were more like 2 feet tall by 20 inches wide in mum pans! I pinched them to about 2 inches tall when I potted them,early june, then I pinched them again to 2 more inches growth over that,4th july, some of them I even pinched again end of july but I had to stop then and let them bud up. I grew them on and they got huge! has anyone else tried them and did they turn out short or tall?

On the plus side, I didn't sell all of them as straggly as they looked, but they said they were hardy to zone 3. So I planted about 20 of them along the driveway late last fall. Like 1 week before a hard freeze, they all still came back. Those belgium mums don't hardly ever come back here even if you plant them early. So the hardiness is good.

I grow with promix brk, used 1 teaspoon timed release 14-7-12 3 month release from harrell's in each pot and fertilize with 200 ppm 20-20-20 plant marvel.

Was it simply too much fertilizer? I read the ball book and it said they need high fertilizer rates and the plants looked healthy, green, bloomed well, but just way taller then stated. I had never tried to grow mums before, just got them off the amish at the auction, but I wanted to try and grow some that would be more hardy.

would like to try them again but I think I might need growth regulator on them? or what did I do wrong?

Thanks for your help!

Comments (7)

Sponsored