SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nickyn1

WANTED: 3rd Annual Canadian Autumn Seed Exchange

Nicky
10 years ago

I have some inquiries about when the next exchange is going to start, so here we go!

3RD ANNUAL CANADIAN AUTUMN SEED SWAP

It is that time of year again! This swap is for any kind of seed. Vegetable, herb, flower, fruit. All Canadians are welcome! Don't be shy! If it is your 1st swap, feel free to ask any questions.

(Partially paraphrased from Heather MacDonald's annual pepper/tomato swap guidelines with her permission)

GUIDELINES FOR THE SWAP:
Let me know in this thread that you would like to participate & I will send you a private message with my address. It is my business address & the postman brings the mail straight to me, this eliminates any problems with seeds sitting outside in a cold mailbox! If you don't get a private message from me in a day or two, let me know. I will try to check the thread daily. Seeds are due in on November 15th, so please put your seeds in the mail on or before November 4th to ensure that it reaches me on time. Of course, you can send your envelope earlier.

1. You can send in up to 40 seed packs. If you are sending in extra seeds as a bonus please mark them clearly as a bonus. If you send in 40 packages, you will get 40 packages back. If you send in 5 packages you will get 5 back. Bonuses will be divided between everyone, so you will end up with more than you send in. Occasionally I split seed packs in order to fill difficult wish lists.

2. You can send NAMED VARIETIES of any open pollinated seed. Please mark the seed package with the type of seed (annual or perennial flower, herb, vegetable, etc.) & the cultivar name. If you know, mark whether they are heirloom or OP, or hybrid. If seeds are from a commercial source, please note that as well. Basically put as much info as you can on the packet. If there is anything that are unsure of, just ask! Do not include mixes or mystery seeds unless they are clearly marked as bonus seed. It isn`t fair to send mystery seed to people who followed the instructions & sent in named varieties. Unknown varieties will be sent back to you, unless marked as bonuses.

If you are sending in hybrid seed to exchange, only F1 seed from a commercial source is acceptable. Please mark the source on the package. Do not send in seeds you have collected from a hybrid plant. They will not grow true to the original parent plant. If you are unsure if the seed you have collected is from a hybrid, please research online before mailing in your seeds or send me a message and I will try to find out.

Seed doesn`t need to be collected from bagged or separated varieties accidental crosses occasionally happen. When you grow out the seeds that you recieve please try not to be upset if an occasional plant isn`t true. Sometimes crosses are better than the original. That being said, please don`t send in seed that you know is crossed & will not grow true.

3. Please include a list of the seeds that you are sending in. Also include a wish list or preferences and if there are any seeds you do not want to receive. If you are only interested in heirloom or OP, please tell me. I will try my best to accommodate your wish list, but there are no guarantees. The returned seeds will be completely dependent on what is sent in. The easiest wishlists to fill include some specifics, but also some general wishes. Don't be shy. It is easier, if your wishlist has 1000 things on it! (: If you wish to email your wishlist earlier, please feel free. Having your list early makes it easier for me to fill more of your wishes. If you have something on your wishlist & get it from another source, or find something that you wish to add to your list at any time before I send back your envelope, just let me know.

4. Please mail your seeds inside of a bubble envelope with your return address label inside. It is important that you send a regular bubble envelope & not the heavy cardboard insulated type to keep within the weight restriction. Please send $2.20 return postage. I will reuse your original bubble envelope to send your surprise seeds back to you. If you go to Canada Post to mail your envelope & they try to charge you more, be sure to tell them that is non-standard lettermail.
The weight categories is:
$2.20. 100-200 grams
This has been the correct weight category for almost every package that I have sent out in previous years.

5. Please include both your real name (for mailing) and your screen name so I know who has sent in their seeds!

WHAT TO SEND:
Inside your bubble wrap envelope you should have;
1. Whatever seed you are contributing to the swap
2. A list of whatever seed you have put in your envelope
3. Stamps totalling $2.20 (you will need another $2.20 in stamps to send your seeds to me)
4. An address label with your address on it.
5. A wish list or list of preferences or do not want list (:
6. Include your name & Screen name!

Remember, you can send in your wish list as soon as it is ready, making it easier to fill. You can also change your wish list after you have sent it. Just let me know of any additions or changes.

If you have any questions or suggestions, please let me know. Happy trading !!!!
Nicky

Comments (47)

• green_go (Canada, Ontario, z 5a)
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Please, count me in!
    Thank you very much for organizing this swap again Nicky.

• xaroline
    10 years ago

Please include me in the seed exchange.
    Caroline

• Related Discussions

HAVE: 3rd Annual Tomato & Pepper Seed Exchange

Q

Comments (75)
    I have envelopes packed and will be mailing seeds to the following individuals tomorrow morning: * dirtdaddy * phpete * roadkill * roper2008 * sambo725 * sproutshonor That's it for envelopes to be mailed back. Thanks everyone for your participation and for sending in such a great variety of seeds. Have a Merry Christmas everybody! ....Heather
    ...See More

UPDATE: Secret Santa Seed Swap (3rd Annual) thread 2

Q

Comments (140)
    Please, see the new thread for all wish lists posted as well as games and fun... link below... Blessings, Angela Here is a link that might be useful: Secret Santa Swap, thread 3
    ...See More

NEW: 3rd Annual- Named Variey / Rare / Unusual - Seed Exchange

Q

Comments (82)
    Hey there ya'all- I wanted to give one last shout out for anyone still thinking about joining in on the fun- There is till the close of the day Saturday to sign up for this exchange- don't be shy and let this pass you by- Just post below before Sunday! If you have 1 type of seed that qualifies- just send in 5 packets of that seed and receive 5 different packets back! If you have more than 1 type- well you can send them all if you wish.... It is easy and fun! For those of you who have signed up- I will close this "New" invatational post- and start another "UPDATE" post with the same 3rd annual named variety/rare/unusual seed exchange subject line for us to use for the follow up posts on Sunday morning. I received envelopes from Romando/Amanda and JSelwa today! And I would like to add- this IS going to be a good swap for us all! I can tell already!! So many folks are digging deep to find their rare or unsusal or special named variety seeds- It can't help but be good for all of us!! Mildred- I do believe the smallest envelope received so far was about 20 packets- and the largest- over100! There really is no minimum- so no worries there! Have a good weekend! Julie
    ...See More

6th Annual Canadian Autumn Seed Exchange

Q

Comments (9)
    Hi there. I am trying to reach Heather MacDonald regarding a pepper seed variety that I have (that I believe is near extinction) and would like to pass on to her. It's called Sue Senger's pepper. Do you have a way to reach her to see if she is still interested? Warm regards, Jocelyn
    ...See More
  • Nicky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just a quick note **** There is a 2 package per variety limit in this swap, sorry I must have erased that line accidentally before I posted the guidelines.

xaroline - We would love to have you in the swap, but you need to set up your profile to accept private messages. If you can't do that, then send me a private message with your email & I will send you the guidelines with my address (:

thanks
    Nicky (glynis3)

• xaroline
    10 years ago

I think that I have fixed the profile to accept messages.
    Are seeds for mixtures of colours acceptable?
    I have some seeds which are not separated as to colours.

e.g. Russell Lupin Hybrids mixed colours ???

• Nicky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great, I will message you the details.

Yes, colour mixes, or known mixes are fine. It is things like "pink and white cosmos", "mixed morning glories" or "mixed tomatoes" that don't work for this swap. If it has a variety name like Russell Lupin Hybrids then it is OK (:

Cheers,
    Nicky

• rosco_p
    10 years ago

Nicky: Good to see that you are again going to tackle the annual swap! Please count me in. Talk with you again later. Ross.

• Nicky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hiya Ross,
    Glad to have you! Sending a private message (:

• xaroline
    10 years ago

Thanks for your E-mail of address etc.
    Another question? sorry I need to quiz you so often.
    Is your swap the place to send tomato and pepper seeds?
    A few years ago I did do Heather's, but I no longer see that one offered?
    Caroline

• Nicky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You can send in tomato & pepper seeds, but this doesn't have anything to do with Heather's swap. This swap is for Canadians only & it is for all types of seed. You can send in veggie/herb/fruit/flower/tropical/tree.... anything that you can think of.

I am not sure if Heather is hosting her tomato seed swap this year. I saw a post that she was busy with work, but hadn't decided whether to host the swap. I hope that she does do it! I love that swap (:

If you are looking for a tomato seed or pepper seed only swap, try the Totally Tomatoes swap (also a great one) on the Garden Web round robin swap page (see below)

Hope that this help

Here is a link that might be useful: garden web round robins

• xaroline
    10 years ago

Thanks---I just like any kind of seed swap!
    And thank you for doing this one.
    Caroline

• Sandykins
    10 years ago

I am so excited reading this as I have been harvesting my flower seeds and hoping to trade. Yes, yes, yes! Count me in please.

• shay
    10 years ago

Count me in!
    Shay

• Nicky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Welcome sandykins and Shay! I will send you all of the details on Monday morning. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Nicky's Garden

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

I would very much like to participate if I can. Sounds like a great event.
    I will send a separate note to Glynis.
    Rick.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

Sounds like fun! Count me in..

• rfaucher
    10 years ago

Great I am in!

• Nicky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Goodmorning,

I have sent PM's to everyone who has asked to be included (: If you haven't received a message, let me know.

We are up to 38 gardeners!

Happy Monday,
    Nicky (glynis3)

• Nicky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have had a couple of questions about quantity of seeds per package.... This is what I usually go by:

#'s of seeds, another Canadian gardener, Sorellina posted the following a couple of years ago:

Tiny Seeds (basil, hyssop, poppies): 1/8 tsp
    Small Flower Seeds (calendula, bachelor button): 1/4 tsp
    Small Vegetable Seeds (tomato, pepper, eggplant): 10 seeds
    Large Flower Seeds (4 O'Clock, Nasturtium, Thunbergia): 5-10 seeds
    Large Vegetable Seeds (Beans, Corn): 25 seeds

I think that this list works well, although many swaps that I have been in I have gotten 10-15 bean seeds. It seems to depend a lot on the size (some are very heavy). I think that it also makes a difference if a plant is rare, most people are happy to have even a tiny amount to try. If they like it they can always save seeds for the following year. Once in a while, I split a package to fill particularly difficult wish lists. In the end - it's up to you. If you give an amount that you would be happy to receive, you are all good ;)

• sorellina
    10 years ago

Hey Nicky,

Count me in. I'm a bit more organized this year and the garden is most definitely winding down now, so that helps.

Thanks for keeping this swap going!

• Nicky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yay! Glad to have you back again this year ;) I'll send you an email.

• Rajam
    10 years ago

Count me in Nicky !!!

Rajam

• Nicky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We are up to 42 gardeners! By now everyone should have a private message or email with my address :)

Have a great weekend! It is raining here in s. ontario. No seed saving today!
    Nicky

• luckynes13
    10 years ago

I think I am in. I have to get busy with it. and see what seeds I have.
    Nes

• kenkaysea
    10 years ago

please count me in

• Nicky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just a quick update....

We have 44 gardeners in the swap so far! I have already received a few of the packages!

It is a gorgeous day here. Sadly, I am stuck at work and have to take one of the kids to the rink tonight. Odd to have to hang out in a freezing cold rink on a day that is warmer than most of July (:

• dm49
    10 years ago

Please count me in.

• luckynes13
    10 years ago

May I ask what seeds are in most demand? Just in case I have some, maybe.

• cdnfruit
    10 years ago

I would like to be included.

• janetcw
    10 years ago

Thanks for organizing this exchange. I'd love to participate.

• Nicky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi gardeners! We are up to 50 people this year with a week and a bit to go!

I have sent everyone who has posted my address & guidelines. If you haven't seen my message or email, let me know and I will resend.

We have a lot of fantastic seeds this year! You are all outdoing yourselves!

Attached pic of a recent bean donation to the swap from Tormato... With many thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Nicky's garden

• Nicky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Happy Friday

Monday is the last day to send in your seeds! I can't believe that it is November already!

If you have sent in your seeds already, but haven't gotten an email to let you know that they arrived, please let me know when they were sent.

Have a good weekend

• Nicky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Happy Friday everyone!

Still waiting to hear from a few gardeners about when their packages were sent. About 3/4 of the packages are here!

A few people have asked how I divide up the seeds...

When I get your wish lists, I start to put aside your exact wishes in an envelope. Once I run out of exact wishes I move on to the next closest varieties. I also check your GW profile to see what you like to grow, where your garden is (climate) and what your GW wishlist has on it! If you have a blog or website, I have a peek to see what you like. If you have been in the swap before, I check your history, so that I am not sending you the same seeds each year (unless requested). I divide up the bonus or extra seed packs and try to make sure that everyone will be pleased with their surprises. It takes a few days to a week after all of the packages come in for me to pack up the return packages & pop them in the mail. As I package them back up, I double check your wishlists to make sure that I am not sending you things that you don't want. That is about it.

It is a lot of fun & makes me feel like I have a little hand in gardens all over the country :) The best part of this particular swap are the gardeners. Most if the swappers put a lot of effort into the packages that they send in. The seeds seem to have great germination. There are lots of interesting varieties. It is fun to send someone a seed. They grow the plant, save the seeds & send them back into the swap the next year!

I will send you a quick message to let you know when your package has been posted. I would appreciate it if you could let me know when your package gets back to you.

The photo is the extra desk at my office that turns into a seed sorting table for a month each year!

Cheers,
    Nicky

• rfaucher
    10 years ago

Hi,
    I will have to skip this swap as I am not well. I would like to try to participate at another time.

Robyn

• luckynes13
    10 years ago

Nicky, it looks like fun and a lot of work. Thank you for doing this, it is very kind of you.
    Nes

• Nicky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Every package has come in on time except one! Hopefully it will show up early next week. I will let you all know when the return packages will be sent out.

After a few last minute cancellations we ended up with 45 people participating, a bit up from last year. There were 9 flower only wish lists, 29 veg/herb only wish lists and the rest were a mix. There are a massive amount of tomatoes this year, I assume that is because Heather's swap is taking the year off. There were also a large amount of beans this year. Tormato's donation seems to have spurred on a lot of bean submissions! There are a lot less herbs than the last couple of years.

Almost everyone ended up with calendula and dill. These were the 2 most sent in items, followed closely by cleome, sweet red cherry peppers and Cole tomato!

There were also some things in the swap that I haven't seen before; barley, oats... There were some beautiful varieties of seed; Painted Pony beans and Painted Mountain Corn!

There were also a TON of bonus seeds this year, so be prepared for a crazy tape-job when you open your return package... Gotta keep the envelope thin enough to make it through the mail slot at the post office! Those beans are large!

If anyone has anything that they would like to add to their wish list, try to let me know by Monday, as I am taking the weekend off from seed sorting & sorting my garden shed & woodpile instead (bah). Just don't ask me to take out the calendula or dill... This is what seed bomb guerrilla gardening is made of ;)

Have a good weekend & thank you for all of the work that everyone put into their packages!

Nicky

• xaroline
    10 years ago

Yes, thank you for doing the work for this seed swap.
    It is appreciated by many of us. We also realize that a
    swap may not give us exactly what we want, but some of our wish lists are fine. Thanks!
    Caroline

• sorellina
    10 years ago

Ciao Nicky-

Wow, that's cool about the dill. I completely blew off saving my dill seed this year - toooo many things going on at once and I missed the window. I also missed harvesting anise. I'm hoping that these seeds will do their job and those herbs will come back all by themselves next year. It's the large Bouquet Dill that I have in my new herb garden. I need some tall things in there to stick in the middle so they don't get swallowed up by big-leafed things like Lunaria and Borage. If the Calendula ends up being the common orange kind, I can always donate that to the community garden. I find the colour orange extremely distasteful, so I grow the brown or peach calendulas.

I had no idea Heather was taking the year off, but you know, she could use the break so that's great. Tormato's got a huge swap going on over in the Round Robin section that will more than make up for her absence.

Did you get any wind damage up your way or lose power? We're fine. The garden is almost done for the season, except for some chard, kale, and leeks.

• Nicky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hiya Jules!

A few flashing clocks when I woke up this morning, a few chairs blown around the yard & some branches down, but nothing serious :)

I love calendula! Any colour! Mine self seeds & I don't usually bother saving seed. The new puppy Bozley ate most of my dill while I was weeding & though he was digging holes in my flower bed. I had given up stopping the digging - but would have done something about the dill carnage, had I noticed!

Have a warm night ;)

• Nicky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good morning!

Good news. All of the packages went out in the mail yesterday (Sunday November 25th) morning!

Most of them took 3-5 days to get to me, so you should start to see them by the end of the week!

Please let me know when they reach you safe & sound.

Hope you like them!
    Nicky

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Thanks Nicky,
    I am so excited and will be pleased with whatever I get.
    Kinda like Christmas already. May just have to slip under tree as an added bonus gift. Still a child at heart.
    I am so appreciative to have been able to take part in such a wonderful
    Group seed swap.
    Thank you and to everyone that participated to make it what it is.

Pre "HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO EVERYONE". I realize it is early, but want to take the opportunity now while people will see it.

Rick

• luckynes13
    10 years ago

Hey Nicky,

Got the package in the mail today! It is great, I loved all the seeds, thank you for all your time and trouble. The envelope arrived with no stamps on it, but still got to me.

Nes

• dm49
    10 years ago

I received my package today (wed). A big 'thank you' to Nicky for all her work and a 'hat's off' to fellow participants for such a great selection of seeds.
    Marlene

• Nicky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No stamps - gotta love Canada post this year :) thanks for letting me know dm49 and luckynes! Happy wintersowing!

Nicky

• sorellina
    10 years ago

Ciao Nicky-

I received my parcel on American Thanksgiving, so that was extra super because Duane was home and got to share in the surprises! You really outdid yourself this year with the care and consideration you gave to the inventory list and the quality of the seeds. This is a smaller swap than some of the others that I participate in, but you managed to fill 11 wishes off of my edibles list! That's VERY impressive! The quality of the flowers was also better than ever before, so thank you very much and consider yourself hugged by me!

• xaroline
    10 years ago

Thank you to all who participated.
    The seeds arrived in the blizzard today.
    I can hardly wait to grow them out.
    Caroline

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Nicky,
    Recieved seeds today (Mon. Dec.2). Thank you so much. I cannot imagine the amount of time and effort that you must have had to put in to organize all these seeds.
    What a tremedous job and thank you to everyone involved for making this, my first seed swap of this size in Canada.
    Cannot wait to do this again. Inspired me to collect seeds from plants that I do not readily make the effort.
    Thank you again,
    Rick

• Nicky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for letting me know that they arrived safely!

Keep warm!

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA
More Discussions