SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rustico_2009

Going "Non_Certified"

rustico_2009
10 years ago

My farm has been certified now by the Department of Weights and Measures for 3 years now. I thought it was pretty much a not so pleasant requirement to sell at Farmers Markets.

Maybe most of you work under similar authority.

Well, Yesterday I went to a market I previously sold at and they have a non-certified section. There was only one man in it , but he had a huge spread of stuff he probably buys at discount auctions. He was the busiest produce vendor there.
( I think James and Marla have done this with Amish produce?")

Anyway, The market is pretty slow only a handful of farmers and about half as many crafts and food booths as before, but it will probably pick up a bit from here.

I talked to one of my certified buddies and he was just telling me how they got cited for having produce from a farmer they were cross certified with on the wrong end of the table! Also cited for forgetting certification at home.

So I am wondering, I want to be the real deal or sell for my friends who are the real deal, I wish it were not true, but farmers markets are my best outlet at this time, but why pay for and put up with this "certified" hassle if you don't have to?

Comments (16)

Sponsored