SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fayremead

Dying Sugar Maple

fayremead
19 years ago

The most disappointing sight to me this spring is a Sugar Maple which had been growing well for more than a decade. The first sign of trouble appeared in the middle of July 2004 when the leaves began to turn color -- mostly orange, with some red and yellow -- ten weeks ahead of normal. The tree was bare by early September. There was no shrivelling or browning, just a normal autumn sequence during summer. Drought wasn't the culprit: the site -- a clay flat -- is watered through the summer so that the lawn is always green.

In mid-April the tree leafed out with no evidence of dieback, but after about ten days all of the new growth wilted and blackened. There seems to be no further activity.

I suspect that the beginning of the end came in October 2003 when southern Vancouver Island had one of its rainiest months ever -- well over 12 inches, five of which fell in one day. With the ground still warm, the biological oxygen demand was high. Roots would have been more likely to drown than during similar wet spells in winter. The tree's fate may have been sealed by wetter-than-average conditions from August 2004 through January 2005.

My two Sugars are also growing in clay, but in relatively high spots. They look fine (touch wood).

-Tony

Comments (8)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio