SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leafwatcher

Give me some ideas what to plant.

leafwatcher
10 years ago

First of all, I hope this post is not too confusing, it confused me writing it !

Ok, I have added a couple planters in my front yard. Here is my goal, I want one large blue and one large yellow or bright plant under each tree. the best shade will be on the left or east. I have an Empress wu, and Blue Wu to be the dark plants. I am not sure what to get for the bright plants. I am thinking big eye catching types. there will be some sun plants along the front until the trees shade them out, or the Hosta GOBBLE them up ! hahaha

Ok, the crabapple is about as big and shady as it will ever be, and thats not really a huge amount of shade. the Japanese Tree Lilac is a new plant, maybe three years in the ground. It will not make any real shade for a couple more years at best. I would like to get the plants in and growing so that they will be getting larger while the shade gets better.
I realize this means they may get ugly, or need a lot of watering the next couple years. I could also rig some temporary sun shades, or sit some cannas in planters to help shade them.
here is a break down of my estimate of the plants sun exposure.

Position1 gets sun 2-7 pm now
position 2 12-7 pm
position 3 10am-6pm
postion 4 10 am -6pm

eventually position 3 and 4 will be constantly shaded as the Japanese tree lilac spreads about 20 feet, and cast a lot of shade. however position 2,3,4 are all going to be getting some hot tough sun for two years if I don't do any temp sun blocks.

What are your ideas for the brights? I don't mean a plain yellow only as a BRIGHT plant. I would easily consider something like a Liberty as Bright..I wish I could pop a 7 year old Liberty into one of the spots!!!! :P

Comments (16)